Battelle’s Critical Infrastructure and Security Resilience (CISR) Business Line group is seeking a Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Subject Matter Expert (SME) with strong technical skills to develop current and forward-looking simulated threats to support the research, development, test and evaluation of security systems and technology for both the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration.
This is a full-time position, and the selected candidate will work in Battelle’s Crystal City Operations in Arlington, Virginia.
Candidate will utilize their technical capabilities in electronics and other IED initiating type systems, and wide-ranging knowledge of military, commercial, and improvised explosives for designing and building realistic simulated IEDs to support test operations.
- Design and manufacture all simulated threat articles required for test activities.
- Responsible for handling, preparation, manipulation, cutting, and shaping of specific explosive simulant compounds (including simulated HMEs),
- Responsible for the fabrication, preparation, and handling of explosive simulant threat articles, including simulated explosives in various concealments and inert IED’s.
- Required to know and understand the appropriate simulant to accurately represent the explosive of interest.
- Based on current intelligence, responsible for developing training materials and courses on explosives, IEDs, and x-ray interpretation.
- Responsible for assisting in the planning, execution, and reporting of test events by providing IED/EOD expertise as it relates to the test scope and associated threat articles.
- Responsible for inventory management of all current TSIF T&E threat articles, IED components, and simulants.
- Perform these duties with a minimum of supervision within time and budget constraints.
Work is performed both at the Battelle Crystal City office and at the TSA Systems Integration Facility (TSIF) located at the Ronald Reagan Nation Airport. Candidate is required to interact directly with the client and program managers on a regular basis and must have strong oral and written communication skills.
Candidate must be capable of maintaining effective working relationships with senior level clients. Additionally, candidate should also have excellent computer skills including expertise in the use of applicable Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project).
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Minimum of 5 years military experience related to EOD/IED activities.
- Must have a Secret level clearance or higher.
- Must be a graduate of NAVSCOLEOD.
- Must have completed military EOD training or equivalent.
- Experience in the analysis and documentation of design, construction techniques and practices of IEDs.
- The candidate must be able to travel, be a self-starter, and a team player. Travel is expected to be less than 20%.
- Sole US Citizenship with the eligibility and willingness to obtain and maintain TSA Security Suitability.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Already possess TSA Security Suitability.
- Experience with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field from an accredited university.