Import Compliance Manager
Develops a thorough understanding of clients’ key business objectives, shipping requirements and freight movement patterns. Ensures client satisfaction through workload coordination and prioritization of support resources which plan and schedule the appropriate modes of transportation based on daily client shipping needs. Manages to key internal and client facing metrics and defines strategies for continuous improvement
Duties and Responsibilities.
- Responsible for administration and guidance on U.S. Customs Regulations, processes and company policies for the region’s import department, including performance metrics.
- Responsible for timely and accurate Import Security Filing.
- Assists with other government agency clearances.
- Provides guidance on Free Trade Agreements.
- Assists with classification of merchandise, harmonized tariff research, binding rulings, protests, and duty rates.
- Provides support on valuation issues including assists, discounts, and other additional/deductions to commercial invoice values.
- Maintains recordkeeping standards according to U.S. Customs regulations.
- Prepares and submits documents to U.S. Customs as well as other government agencies in accordance with company policy.
- Supervises the timely and accurate processing of ABI statements.
- Assists in setting up new Brokerage accounts to ensure all system functionality is completed for ultimate compliance and processing efficiencies.
- Maintains a high level of communication, both written and verbal, with clients and U.S. Customs.
- Supports the sales process to secure new business as well as maintain/grow our current base of accounts. Looks for opportunities to increase market share by offering enhanced compliance services.
- Audit of Regional files to ensure compliance with Company and Regulatory policies.
- Provide Regional support on post entry processing.
- Ensures that all direct reports receive training in Import procedures.
- Provides supervision of C-TPAT and Branch Security procedures.
- Provides management oversight/employee supervision in a multiple branch / employee environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Transportation, Logistics or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 10 + years previous U.S. Customs Brokerage experience or related experience in international trade, import operations, Customs Brokerage and U.S. Customs laws.
- 10+years of supervisory or leadership experience
- U.S. Customs Broker License
- Certified Customs Specialist
- Knowledge in U.S. Customs and International trade, with a basic understanding of customs valuation, classification, compliance/audit and trade programs
- Strong customer relations ability with analytical and technical skills that can be utilized to produce creative ideas/solutions.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Client service orientation, initiative, responsiveness
- Team oriented and comfortable in either a leadership or team leader role
- Demonstrated organizational and management experience, including process improvement techniques.
- Demonstrated analytical, business planning and problem-solving skills. Ability to develop trend analyses and helps to build baseline of information with respect to the clients’ activity.
- Ability to present client business review information through on-site meetings and formal presentations.
- Working knowledge of PC and business applications (including Microsoft Office).
- Complete working knowledge of all US Customs compliance rule and regulations
- Knowledge of NAFTA, Free Trade Agreements, CTPAT, additional tariff requirements, OGAs, ACH, and all other related trade legislation, rules, and regulations.
- Some working knowledge of CFS, bonded warehouse and Foreign Trade Zones operations.
Some Hazmat experience helpful
- CargoWise experience.
- Creative thinking, customer driven, flexible, open to learning, team player, effective communication, proactive planning and organization, coaching and development.