Hand’s on, experienced, Instrument & Controls Engineer or Process Control Engineer to provide on-going support for a chemical manufacturing operation at the Solvay Niagara Falls, Ontario site. The individual will be actively involved in the design, specification, installation, start-up, maintenance and troubleshooting of the necessary field instruments, controls and interlocks to support the on-going manufacturing processes and support new installations to upgrade Process Safety or increase the level of Process Automation.
- Working with the Site Maintenance, Operations and Process Control teams, to troubleshoot and determine instrument repair or upgrade plans to support plant operations.
- Prepares or reviews Preventative Maintenance work plans for Instrument & Control systems
- Develop design specifications for new or existing equipment and instrumentation based upon specific manufacturing and process requirements.
- Manage assigned process control and electrical improvement projects including schedule, budget, testing requirements and start-up including required documentation and approvals.
- Provide the necessary Instrumentation and Controls support to other on site Project Managers who are supporting the site’s improvement and capacity expansion plans.
- Work with vendors and procurement to understand availability, suitability and cost of alternative instrument solutions.
- Supervise and manage outside contractors (both design and field construction), as necessary, to complete project work. Contract work must follow all local safety requirements.
- Follow Site Management of Change procedures. Conduct appropriate safety reviews during the engineering definition, interlock and alarm design and testing phases as required.
- Interacting with the Site Operations team, this position, over time, will adopt an increased focus on the use of automation for process and productivity improvements.
- Responsible for the development of future process control, electrical and automation projects through a stage-gate process including project evaluation, assessment, definition, design, execution and start-up.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Level Degree or Equivalent
- Target Degrees: Chemical or Electrical Engineering
- 7 Minimum Years of Industrial Work Experience
- Working with Instrument / Electrical Technicians and the Process Control Group to conduct troubleshooting of field instruments
- Working knowledge of Instrumentation and Control documentation such as: Panel (Junction Box and Marshalling) Design P&ID's
- Loop Drawings
- Wiring Drawings
- Motor Control Schematics
- Control Narratives
- Cause & Effect Diagrams
- Instrument Specifications (Datasheets)
- Ability to use CAD software to make changes to P&IDs, single line diagrams, loop drawings, cabinet layout drawing.
- Working with instrument systems connecting to a Siemens APACs® Distributed Control System
- Working with instrument and communications systems connecting to an Emerson Delta V® Control System