At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
In the role of Hydraulics Structures Engineer, we'll count on you to:
- Assist in condition assessments of various hydraulic structures
- Perform preliminary and detailed civil / structural analysis, design, evaluations, and design options and recommendations for concrete, steel and masonry structures
- Assist in design of various new and/or rehabilitation of hydraulic structures, including dams, spillways, gates, outlet works, diversion structures, retaining walls, cofferdams, floodwalls, water conveyance structures, foundations
- Review structural documents for areas of conflict with all disciplines
- Assist in development of design criteria, report preparation, and quality assurance and control reviews of related designs
- Write and edit hydraulic structures specifications, select procedures, materials and their respective sizes, and complete necessary calculations
- Independently coordinate the work of the structural design team through the design development and contract document phases of a project
- Establish meetings and participate in reviews with various governing agencies for code compliance
- Conduct design development and contract document work sessions both in the office and at project sites in conjunction with the Project Manager and other disciplines
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of various reports to ensure technical consistency and inclusion of appropriate documentation
- Take responsibility for coordinating workload through design development and construction document phases to complete the documents on schedule
- Supervise and coach other engineering and support staff, including mentoring of junior engineers, and provision of quality assurance review or input where required.
- During construction, coordinate and assist with affected disciplines, with any addendum, requests for information, change proposal requests and change orders, and incorporate agreed-upon changes into the project documents
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in structural and seismic analyses, including finite element modeling
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills
- Strong background in finite element modeling and knowledge of computer-based design tools (such as LS-DYNA, SAP2000, MATHCAD, LPILE, AutoCAD, or equivalent). Use of commercially available programs that can be used for advanced analysis such as dynamic response spectrum or seismic time history analysis
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and reports
- Knowledge of relevant structural design methods, codes and standards
- Willingness to travel and assist with hydraulic structures inspection. Potential for becoming rope access trained, confined space entry, OSHA, or other safety training for inspections. Travel is expected to not exceed more than 30% of time
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Master's degree or Ph.D. in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Strong background in finite element modeling and experience working with software such as SAP2000, LS-DYNA, ANSYS, TrueGrid, and HyperMesh
- Licensed Structural Engineer (SE)
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee ownership, employee health, performance, and success, which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off, parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, employee referral bonuses and tuition reimbursement. The expected compensation range for this position is $74,767 - $122,832 annually depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.