Eaton, in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, has an opening in our Corporate Research andTechnology organization for a Hybrid PowerEngineering Specialist. Corporate Research &Technology (CRT) focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impacttechnologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions. The Machine SystemTechnologies team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of power system management and optimization for electro-mechanical, electro-hydraulic, hydro-mechanical power systems including both stationary andmobile machines. TheEngineering Specialist is expected to leadtechnology strategy and execution for specific applications. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing keypartnerships bothinternally and externally to drive technological advancement. They will beresponsible for meeting theschedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts under his/her control. TheEngineering Specialist should serve as a subject matter expert within the area of Hybrid Power Systems for Eaton. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, active participation in industry or technical groups andevents,publishing papers, etc. Finally as a subject matter expertinternally theEngineering Specialist will be expected to mentor junior staff and consult withinternal business &engineering customers. Essential functions:
- Leads complex global technology realization programs/projects utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
- Project leads are the single point of contact for the entire project. Responsible for creating, executing and tracking all the milestones for the entire project. Assigns roles and responsibilities for the project team members.
- Program lead is responsible for setting the strategy for an entire program that can encompass multiple projects. Responsible to assign project leads and technical leads for all program activities. The single point of contact to upper management for all program activities.
- Serve as (or support) Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans and value proposition. Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process.
- Leads the development of strategies for technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies.
- Participates and presents in ideation events (Innovation Summits, Design Bursts, etc.)
- Serves as Principal Investigator in government proposal preparation and/or project execution
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, ElectricalEngineering or Control System Engineering from an accredited institution required
- Minimum of 5years of experience in the design and optimization of hybrid power systems, including system level modeling to conduct trade studies and down-select architecture of electro-mechanical, electro-hydraulic, and/or hydro-mechanical systems, components and controls.
- Experience in system design and optimization, performing dynamic systems modeling and analysis, performing technology research and development from concept to implementation.
- Proficient in model-based control system development using tools such as Matlab/Simulink, AMESim, and real-time control systems in both hardware-in-the-loop simulation and prototype systems.
- Strong technical publication and invention record
- Broad domain knowledge in various power systems (mechanical, hydraulics, electro-magnetic) as well as hybrid systems such as electric-hybrid and hydraulic hybrid.
- Experienced in engaging with business stakeholders and OEM customers, and developing strong partnerships in key research areas.
- Ability to apply Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodology
- Able to drive strong business case with key stakeholders and create new commercial applications for Eaton
- Experience in the following areas: hydraulics component/system; hydraulics powertrain management solutions; advanced control and analytics; motor drive controls.
- Recognized externally as a subject matter expert. This may be evident through invitations to present a technical presentation or publish in a technical journal as SME to an audience of technical/industry peers
- Experience in leading projects.
- Experience in writing government proposals
- PhD preferred in Mechanical Engineering, ElectricalEngineering or Control System Engineering or a related field.
- DFSS Green Belt is a plus.
- Project Management experience
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Requisition ID: 041874