What you will do
Under general direction, leads the System Application Engineers in their support of the construction sales team and in some cases functions as an SAE for select reps, customers and/or projects. Ensures that assigned projects are executed profitably, accurately, on-time, within the scope of the contract and in alignment with customer expectations. With focus on equipment slippage, avoids and minimizes slippage, following up to prevent reoccurrence.
- Assigns System Application Engineers to Account Execs and ensures the proper balance of pre and post sales activities is maintained to meet overall customer expectations.
- Provides training and support on project management practices and the Johnson Controls equipment order execution process.
- Supports pre-sales activities, which include system configuration validation, HVAC equipment and/or controls selection for basis of design as well as bidding, application and pricing.
- Supports the development of accurate, detailed submittals to communicate design, configuration, operation, and installation requirements to customers, consultants, service team and necessary subcontractors.
- Team leader works with the sales team to maintain an effective balance between internal Johnson Controls processes, customer satisfaction and project financial results.
- Team leader assists the Branch Installation Manager / Branch General Manager in revenue forecasting, collections and resource planning.
How you will do it
- Manages the overall performance of assigned System Application Engineers.
- Functions as a Systems Application Engineer where appropriate based on the branch requirements and Account Executive Assignments
- Performs all of the System Application Engineer duties for highly complex or strategic projects as assigned by Branch Management.
- Establishes goals and development plans for all direct reports. Evaluates employee performance, performs salary management and promotes team development.
- Recruits System Application Engineers with the appropriate skills and competencies to meet the needs of the Branch and our customers.
- Follows up on customer satisfaction issues and drives resolution. Provides leadership by demonstrating focus on achieving customer satisfaction.
- Develops and builds relationships between the SAEs and their assigned Account Execs, contractors, customers, consultants, and vendors.
- Develops and implements a formal technical training program for each of the System Application Engineers.
- Ensures SAEs are providing proper turnover to service team and coordinating with LSSs/PM on all joint projects.
- Acts as the first level of escalation for any issues related to; equipment orders, order commitments, delivery, final payment and customer satisfaction.
- Acts as the subject matter expert on equipment to assist in the interpretation of engineering drawings and specifications. Identifies gaps in the technical expertise of the SAEs in specification interpretation and works with assigned Account Executives to implement short term plans to address these gaps. This includes but is not limited to; system configuration validation, HVAC equipment and/or controls selection, engineered equipment submittals, contract drawings, site coordination, and site installation requirements, etc.
- Periodically reviews the SAEs equipment and controls estimates, proposals, selections, as well as engineering submittals, and purchase, etc. Where issues are noted as it relates to; selections, schedules, drawing and specification requirements develops and implements a plan to address the immediate issue and share the best practice to all members of the team.
- Evaluates the relationship skills of the SAEs. Gathers feedback from Account executives, customers, vendors, corporate and other branch employees to identify soft skill gaps. Where gaps are identified develop a plan to address the immediate issue and share the best practice to all members of the team.
- Acts as liaison between the factory and SAE team. Drives the escalation process for the SAEs.
- Effectively communicates process problems, warranty trends, systemic delivery issues to the appropriate corporate leadership. Participates in review sessions and feedback groups.
- Monitors the Equipment Slippage (ES) for all projects within the branch, analyzes root cause and teams with all appropriate people to implement corrective action.
- Works with SAE team members to ensure proper teaming with service as it pertains to Startup and Warranty processes.
- Provides technical support, selections and limited estimating support to SAEs and Account Execs during project design or proposal phase. Assists as needed in developing the customer business case for the conceptual solution.
- Monitors and Supports System Application Engineer teams in all of their assigned duties.
What we look for
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering with a minimum of seven or more years of progressively more responsible operations management experience in the Building Construction Industry including five or more years of direct project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team successfully.
- Possesses a high-level competence in written and verbal communication.
- Computer skills experience to include: Microsoft Office suite, (with emphasis on Word, Excel and Visio) Adobe Writer, and basic Windows operating system environment.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a large and diverse number of projects with professionalism, cooperation, and persistence.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Able to travel based upon geographical locations of assigned teams.
- AutoCad experience is preferred.
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit