NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) provides engineering and consulting services to public and private sectors, delivering solutions through five business verticals: Construction Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, Utility Services, Program Management, and Environmental. With offices nationwide and abroad, NV5 helps clients plan, design, build, test, certify, and operate projects that improve the communities where we live and work.
As engineers, architects, construction/program managers, environmental professionals and beyond, we play a significant role in shaping our communities through the services we provide. We are looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our team focused on Delivering Solutions and Improving Lives.
The basic function of the Mechanical Department Head is to set standards for the Mechanical Department, mentor and train staff members, develop processes that improve quality and reduce time on projects, and conduct QA/QC reviews and professional stamping on selected projects. Assist in identifying individuals to conduct QA/QC under their direct supervision.
- Mentoring/training technical staff members and arranging for outside training of staff as well as assisting them in technical career pathing to best utilize their education and work experience. Assist Group Leaders as requested to identify methods for ensuring optimal utilization of staff. Participate in the technical staff performance review process as needed to assist the Group Leaders in assessing staff technical skill development in their respective discipline. Approximately 8 -20 hours per week of mentoring/training is anticipated based on the number of staff in the department and their experience in the discipline.
- Responsible for overseeing the quality control review process of engineers’/designers’ drawings, specifications, and cost estimates to ensure compliance with technical requirements and code standards. Will be responsible for utilizing professional engineering stamp on selected projects.
- Responsible for defining and setting engineering standards for the department in order to make the department run as effectively and efficiently as possible. Will interface with other Chief Engineers to ensure the smooth coordination of efforts.
- Actively works on complex projects assisting groups that may lack experienced staff to handle the project as time permits.
- Responsible for conceptualizing the design on complex projects and assisting in conceptualizing the design on a multitude of projects.
- Be available to assist junior staff with questions, problems and advice.
- Participates in reviewing prospective resumes and interviewing prospective staff. Plays a major role in conducting performance reviews of staff members including goal setting and documenting performance deficiencies.
- Works with minimal direction or supervision.
- Must possess a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and have a minimum of ten years experience in the consulting engineering field designing and managing projects independently including development of plans and specifications.
- Must have a Professional Engineering registration.
- Must have a thorough and strong understanding of the principles of the discipline he/she is spearheading.
- Must keep current through continuing education (seminars, etc.).
- Must have strong leadership, problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and client relationship skills.
- Must have previous people management experience.
- Must be able to work with engineers at all levels in order to advance their technical skill set.
- Must be accessible and approachable.
- Must be organized, attentive to detail and able to effectively multi-task.
- Must have the knowledge on how to delegate workload.