HVAC Business Unit Tax Planning
Carrier is a leading global provider of innovative HVAC, refrigeration, fire, security, and building automation technologies leading to safer, smarter, sustainable, and high-performance buildings. Carrier's businesses enable modern life by delivering efficiency, safety, security, comfort, productivity, and sustainability across a wide range of residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
Excellent opportunity for a motivated and strategic thinker to assume the HVAC Associate Director of Tax Planning role within the Tax organization. This role will be the tax planning lead for a business unit of Carrier and will be responsible for partnering with the business to drive value within the Tax function.
Primary responsibilities include:
Work with an existing team to assist in planning and implementing strategies to reduce the company's effective tax rate, assist business development with tax issues related to mergers & acquisitions, supply chain realignment/manufacturing footprint changes, legal entity rationalization efforts, and address tax issues raised by Carrier's business unit operations. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Foreign, Federal, and State Tax Planning
- Plan and implement strategies to reduce the company's effective tax rate
- Align tax optimization strategies with business objectives
- Model and execute such strategies
- Advise the Business Development team on tax considerations of M&A deals
- Structure buy and sell deals from a US & international tax perspective.
- Conduct due diligence on targets
- Cross-functional teaming with business development, legal, treasury, and accounting
- Post-acquisition integration
- Tax focal for one of Carrier's three strategic business units, addressing tax issues raised by operations
- Understand the business objectives of operations and supply chain flows
- Anticipate Foreign, Federal, and State income and transaction tax issues raised by operations.
- Research and work with outside advisers, as necessary, to understand the tax consequences of such issues and propose alternatives to minimize taxes
- Partnering with the transfer pricing and risk management team on potential IP planning opportunities, identification of direct Tax and transfer pricing planning opportunities, and mitigation of tax risks and exposures.
- Tax lead for LER initiatives for the HVAC business
- Support Foreign, Federal, and State tax reporting activities
- Support Foreign, Federal, and State tax audit activities
Education / Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, economics, finance, or related area.
- CPA preferred
- Advanced degree (JD or MST) or interest in pursuing an advanced degree (at company expense) preferred
Experience / Qualifications:
- 8-12 years of international tax planning experience in a large multi-national, corporate tax or accounting/legal firm environment
- Strong understanding of tax issues related to mergers & acquisitions
- Strong tax modeling skills
- Tax-efficient supply chain planning experience a plus
- Knowledge of US international tax concepts, including international mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, outbound transfers, transfer pricing, subpart F, GILTI, FDII, and foreign tax credits
- Knowledge of general tax principles which may impact a multi-national manufacturing company
- General understanding of ASC 740 tax accounting skills
- Research and writing skills, including experience drafting tax positions and intercompany agreements
- Quantitative analysis skills, including the ability to review and analyze financial models
- Experience with intangible, service and financing transactions is a plus.
- Ability to identify and evaluate local foreign tax issues such as permanent establishment issues, indirect taxes, and withholding taxes
- Good interpersonal skills, including ability and desire to communicate and collaborate across functional areas of the organization beyond Tax
- Good business sense and creative problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and meet deadlines
- Able to multitask and have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong business analytical skills
- Teamwork - desire to work with others and share responsibilities