This role is to lead HR in a manufacturing business unit with responsibility for carrying out the day-to-day functional duties with a particular focus on recruiting, training & development, employee relations, payroll and benefits. This role will operate in conjunction with the business unit General Manager, serving as a strategic partner, change agent and employee advocate by developing strong relationships with the broader organization and by delivering customer focused HR solutions which align with company goals. The individual must be highly hands-on, have great listening/communications skills, be effective in problem solving/conflict resolution and have, presence, confidence and leadership skills. The successful candidate must also be comfortable working in a technology manufacturing operation of ~60 employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages recruitment strategies for personnel associated policies and processes to support successful recruitment and retention, including the development of relationships with key sources of potential employees, such as technical trade schools and local colleges and universities
- Directs organizational development activities for the business unit; ensuring that there are succession plans for key roles and, to the maximum degree possible, opportunities for personal growth for all employees
- Provides HR consulting and counseling to managers and employees for all facets of HR, including, but not limited to: issue and conflict resolution; all employee relations & performance management issues; and policy interpretation and compliance.
- Provides employee relations support to business managers and functions (i.e. operations, facilities, security, etc.)
- Recommends and develops new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Coordinates employee-relations activities and programs including but not limited to employee counseling, interpretation of policies, new employee orientation, and employee recognition programs.
- Manages the employee life-cycle process to include new employee orientation, current employee training and development, and exit interviews.
- Administers health and welfare benefits to include enrollment/termination, claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and communicating benefit information to employees;
- Administers various human resources plans and procedures for all business unit personnel; assists in development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains employee handbook and policies and procedures manual.
- Processes payroll and time & attendance to include reviewing and importing timesheets, checking for necessary approvals, reviewing payroll documents and reports for accuracy, updating employee deductions, preparing payroll related reports and journal entries.
- Processes required documentation to ensure accurate recork keeping and proper deductions;
- Ensures health and benefit plans are administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and plan provisions are followed.
- Maintains personnel records.
- Respond to employment verification inquiries.
- Manages the development/implementation of the performance evaluation and rewards and recognition programs.
- Maintains business unit organization charts and employee directory.
- Maintains affirmative action program; files EEO-1 report annually; maintains other records, reports, and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Maintains workers compensation and OSHA programs and reporting.
- Develops and maintains necessary HRreports to support internal departments and customers.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of the HR department in relation to established goals. .
- Maintains Human Resource Information System (HRIS) records and compiles reports from database.
- Maintain knowledge of latest regulatory updates such as ERISA, COBRA, ADA, AA, FMLA, HIPAA, PPACA, etc. in order to ensure both corporate and client HR administration is to the highest standards and compliant.
- Responsible for supervising facility and reception areas.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Comply with all quality and ITAR policies, practices and procedures.
- Build meaningful and productive relationships with internal business partners.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Protect confidential information by not communicating, disclosing to, or using for benefit of 3rd parties.
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or equivalent education from a four -year college or university.
- Seven (7) to fifteen (15) years of progressive experience across a breadth of Human Resources disciplines, ideally working in a larger organization and in a <100 person non-union light manufacturing operation.
- Professional certification in one or more desired; Professional Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM –CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
- Must have in depth and working knowledge of US employment laws and regulations.
- Experience using and implementing HRIS systems, benefit enrollment systems, and carrier connections.
- Experience with ADP WorkforceNow, HR-Anytime, Workable, TotalSource and Health & Welfare Service Engine (HWSE) preferred.
- Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident.
- Experience in the defense industry supply chain a plus
- Team player who can multi-task effectively in a fast-paced, lean environment while maintaining quality standards.
- High-energy, results-focused self-starter. Strong analytical ability.
- Able to manage competing priorities and exercise flexibility with quickly changing data requests.
- Adaptable and quick to learn new tasks independently
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Confident operating in a multi-cultural work environment
- Effective communication skills (written & verbal).