Summary Description of Position Serve as a business partner with operations and sales management to enhance the Western Division’s (California) capability to achieve its goals and objectives. Manage the Human Resources and Employee Relations activities for Central California. This position has full generalist responsibilities with an emphasis on employee relations. Provides support for the effective execution of business initiatives, corporate and divisional policies, human resources processes and projects, and employment laws. Essential Functions
- Advises and consults with regional leadership, managers and supervisors to identify obstacles and issues to improve organization effectiveness, and develops strategies to remove those obstacles and concerns. Position works with managers on ways to improve their effectiveness through a variety of techniques and strategies.
- Position is mostly a field based role, with a majority of the role being performed for the locations in Central California.
- Act as a member of the Region’s leadership team and leadership team planning initiatives.
- Acts influences and helps lead change as required by new company and division initiatives.
- Partner with regional leadership, plant managers on preventing but also solving employee relations opportunities and challenges.
- Assist with new acquisitions and growth initiatives as they relate to human resources and organization issues.
- Identifies issues and concerns to address employee satisfactions and develops strategies and interventions to increase employee satisfaction throughout the Division.
- Reviews and recommends strategies and new concepts to reward and recognize performance of teams and people within the Division.
- Support managers in developing succession planning strategies and improving the talent pool throughout the Division. Identifies back-up candidates to key positions in the Division and serves as corporate contact on internal candidates in the Division.
- Identifies new technologies and "best practices" to enable the Division to reduce costs and improve productivity through better utilization of human assets and resources.
- Represent the Division on assigned Company-wide project teams.
- Effectively utilizes prevailing technologies (e.g. Kronos, PeopleSoft, Taleo, etc.) to execute assigned responsibilities more effectively.
- Estimated travel requirement is 50%. Mostly day travel with overnight stays being very limited.
- Successful candidate will be a team oriented individual that demonstrates a “humble but hungry” approach in how they approach all facets of their responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related field or equivalent work experience is desired. Advanced degree is an advantage
- SPHR or equivalent professional certifications preferred
- Position requires a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a Human Resources or Organization Development career track.
- At least two years’ experience in labor contract negotiations and contract administration/grievance handling is required.
- Experience in an industrial environment is preferred. Working knowledge of heavy industrial business is an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of EEO, FLSA, OFCCP laws and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Oral and written communication skills to include effective listening.
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
- Able to establish credibility and influence leadership.
- Assertiveness – Possess the courage to take a position, even if unpopular.
Consensus builder where and when appropriate.
- Creative problem solver and agent of change in the organization.
- Insightful and possessing sound business judgment.
- Conflict resolution skills and the ability to constructively confront delicate issues.
- Diagnose organizational and employee issues which impact performance and organization effectiveness.
- Develop communication programs designed to get employee commitment and support for Company goals and objectives.
- Understanding of employment laws, rules and regulations.
- Effectively interface with all levels of people in the organization; knowledge and understanding of employee relations.
- Dispute resolution abilities.
- Solid presentation skills.
- Effectively understand and interface with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Lead and message Diversity and Inclusion importance.
- Understanding of individual and group reward and recognition strategies to motivate people towards higher productivity.