The Solon OH plant has an immediate need for a qualified Human Resources Manager. The Solon plant is a part of the Consumer Products Division producing sheet fed/specialty cartons. The site has approximately 185 employees, 155 of which are hourly and covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the United Steelworkers Union. Solon has been voted as one of the best places to live in the United States with the biggest draw geared towards the excellent school systems.
This position has one direct report. The candidate for this position must be a “change agent” who maintains a constant pulse of the workplace and employee satisfaction. It functions as a business partner to the site leadership team supporting the operational objectives of site. This position reports to the Plant Manager with a dotted line to the Regional Director of Human Resources for the Midwest Region.
JOB FUNCTIONS: Job functions include, but are not limited to the following.
A key responsibility requiring sound advice and counsel to hourly and salary employees. Ensures a positive, productive employment environment, free of discrimination and inconsistencies. Monitors and provides feedback regarding policies, procedures and programs and propose improvements as necessary. Serve as liaison for voicing employee concerns:
- Coaches employees, supervisors and colleagues assisting them in problem resolution and to improve performance. Coach, advise and recommend corrective actions
- Handles all labor relations responsibilities i.e. labor/management committee, grievances, arbitrations, contingency planning, negotiations, etc.
- Serve as liaison between Corporate HR and plant for escalation issues
- Support line leaders to improve skills and effectiveness and to create an environment where each employee can fully contribute
- Conduct annual training on Code of Business Ethics, Anti-Harassment, Anti-Discrimination, and other related HR Policies
- Facilitate grievance process for the facility, up through the arbitration process. Support contract negotiations and bargaining of agreements as necessary.
- Coaches employees, supervisors and colleagues assisting them in problem resolution and to improve performance. Coach, advise and recommend corrective actions.
- Draft responses to hotline complaints, NLRB charges and EEOC charges
- Conduct internal investigations into employee relations issues, rule violations, grievances and hotline complaints
- Interface with union reps on grievances and other issues to promote consistency in contract interpretation and positive labor management relations
- Interpret and apply the language of the collective bargaining agreement to reach resolution and correct application on contractual issues affecting employee discipline
Staffing and Recruitment:
- Manages the process for full-time and temporary staff utilized in our facility.
- Has oversight and involvement in all hourly hiring practices. Administers the hiring process for all employee groups. Supports salaried hiring process
- Administers intern program
- Partners with the training team to support the on-boarding process and integration of employees
- Monitor and report turnover statistics
- Maintains all AAP documentation and annual goals
- Updates and maintains an effective workforce analysis and plan for addressing gaps
- Tracks and reports on headcount monthly for all departments.
- Represent facility in unemployment claim process
- Manages the Performance Management system
- Oversees the Payroll and Benefits functions
- Assists in development or re-engineering of innovative processes and systems (Reward & Recognition, attendance, and other people programs)
- Provides reports and support to Site Leadership team on HR KPI’s a regular basis or as needed
- Ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to Employment Law
- Complies with and drives compliance with all HR, FML, LOA, and safety practices
- Initiate actions within the HRIS and manages employee files
- Directly manages all contractual issues including execution of the contract, etc.
- Responsible for recruitment and retention strategies
- Directly involved in responsibilities /actions related to Food Safety Programs (SQF)
- Shares an obligation to protect and strengthen Graphic Packaging International’s good reputation in our relationships with customers, employees, suppliers, competitors, investors, and governmental agencies, and to act consistently with our core values: Integrity, Respect, Accountability, Relationships, and Teamwork
- Attend and periodically lead business related meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive HR Experience in a manufacturing environment dealing with unions is required
- Operational experience to enhance user / trainer interface, employee relations, and culture
- Five years problem solving, project management, supervision, and technical writing experience
- 7 years’ experience working in a union facility handling the grievance process, prepping for arbitrations, negotiations, and 3rd party charges
- Experience managing multiple human resources generalist disciplines at all levels from production to professional level employees.
- Development and coaching of employees.
- Prior experience supervising direct reports.
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from accredited college/university is required
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, or SHRM-CP certification is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state employment laws and other government compliance regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Talent Management, Recruiting & Selection, Succession Planning & Development, Compensation, and Benefits including time keeping, payroll and Worker’s Compensation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of leading and facilitating thorough and accurate investigations and final outcome recommendations that are focused on legal and policy compliance as well as driving change and acceptable behavior that is aligned with the company’s core values.
- Microsoft Office Suite Products.
- SAP HCM and Success Factors knowledge helpful but not required.
- Lean/Six Sigma familiarity.
- Leadership & Accountability
- Detecting essence and probability
- Employee Engagement
- Building Effective Teams
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Agility
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
- Process Oriented
- General schedule(s) is an 8-hour M-F assignment, however, employee must be willing to work alternate schedules occasionally; that may include early mornings, nights, and/or weekends. Occasional overnight travel.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time up to 8-hours. Manufacturing plant environment with some noise level.
- Occasional Lifting up to 20 lbs.
- Reading computer screen or other electronic devices.
- Use of various office hand and electrical tools or equipment.
- Integrity & Trust
- Action Oriented
- Managerial Courage
- Organizational Agility
- Learning Agility (Learning on the Fly)
- Developing Direct Reports & Others
- Business Acumen
- Detail Oriented
- Dealing with Ambiguity