Ducommun is a global provider of manufacturing and engineering services, developing innovative electronic, engineered and structural solutions for complex applications in aerospace, defense and industrial markets. Our full-service collaborative approach, broad capabilities and value-added services like new product introduction, supply chain strategies and program management deliver value for our customers and innovative solutions for their complex electronic and structural needs.
Job Summary & Essential Functions:
Manages all areas of HR including recruiting, benefits administration, labor relations, employee relations, training, development, orientation, data administration and documentation, talent management, HR compliance, and all related activities. Uses extensive experience and judgement to handle complex HR issues, as well to develop, recommend, and implement practices that align HR solutions with business objectives.
Internal Communication and Collaboration:
- Support and promote company core values of honesty, professionalism, respect, trust and teamwork and utilize the Ducommun Way methodology to achieve objectives.
- Drive strong employee relations through frequent and clear communications, clarity of expectations, and promoting positive relationships among management and employees.
- Partners w/ HR Business Partner and management team on strategic initiatives.
- Provides leadership and guidance to other HR generalists and staff; may lead and direct the work of others.
- Build and develop close relationships with cross functions (Operations, PMO, SC, Finance, PI and Engineering).
Policy, Procedure and Process Administration:
- Manages all HR policies and procedures for the operating center.
- Provides direction to employees and managers with escalated HR questions and complex employee relations issues.
- Ensures department compliance with all HR regulatory requirements.
- Must be able to interpret and provide guidance regarding federal, state, and local employment laws/policy.
- Drive a culture of fair and equitable employment practices.
- Manage and administer the policies and procedures within the collective bargaining agreement.
- Work and partner with local union reps, steward(s) and president to resolve grievances and employee issues timely following the grievance procedure as defined in the CBA.
- Train, guide and administer the CBA through the extension of the company supervisory staff ensuring ever supervisor understands and manages to the requirements within the CBA.
- Negotiate terms and conditions within the collective bargaining process.
- Support and manage arbitration processes as necessary to reach consensus and agreement for issues that can not be resolved locally between the local union representation and company representation.
- Manages benefit programs within policy and regulatory compliance including assisting with general benefit inquiries and online enrollment, claims resolution, collection of required documents, invoicing and payroll adjustments, and communication
- Provides direction to other HR members to drive employee participation in company sponsored wellness programs.
Unemployment, Leave and Employment Exit Administration:
Systems Support and Administration:
- Manages the use of HR systems such as the Self-Service Portal and Talent Management System.
- Manages HRIS data and interface integrity within SOX compliance including timely and accurate data entry of new hires, terminations, and other changes, as well as running reports and performing necessary audits.
Safety & Worker’s Compensation:
- Support EH&S officer in the implementation of safety initiatives and requirements.
Manage the worker’s compensation process related to medical treatment, cost control and claim adjustor communication.
Proactively support safety concerns and issues through collaboration with EH&S and operations.
- Ensure proper safety training is provided to new hires and support monthly training initiatives provided by EH&S officers.
Recruiting and On-Boarding:
- Carries out full cycle recruiting activities for all levels within the operating center.
- Administers onboarding activities including new hire orientation, collection of paperwork, and pre-emplyment screenings.
Employee Engagement and Recognition:
- Support and drive the employee engagement strategy to facilitate organizational performance and enable successful organizational change.
- Manager total rewards strategies, programs, and tools to enhance organizational performance and employee engagement.
Talent Development and Performance Management:
- Partners with the HRBP and other managers to identify and execute employee and manager training initiatives.
Communicate career path opportunities within the organizational structure and provide guidance to leadership on career planning discussions.
Support and foster growth and professional development of talent in the organization.
- Support and participate in the talent management/development and succession planning process.
- Coordinates and support annual goal and appraisal processes.
Skills & Qualifications
Required Experience/Education/Training/Certifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the outlined experience level, education, training, minimum years of experience, product or industry knowledge plus any certifications in order to be considered.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university/college in business or a related area or equivalent years of relative industry experience.
10+ years of professional experience in the HR field; manufacturing environment preferred.
5+ years of labor relations experience preferably in a manufacturing environment.
Strong employee relations experience.
Proven track record of handling full range of support in all areas of HR including complex HR issues.
PHR or SPHR certification required.
Required Skills & Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, qualifications, competencies, abilities and any physical demands if required. Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential requirements of this job.
- Prior experience in labor relations and managing collective bargaining agreements.
- Prior experience in a multi-shift manufacturing organization.
- Able to rely on extensive experience, judgment and knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures necessary to plan and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of employment law, recruiting practices, benefits, FMLA, ADA, EEO, related industry trends and new developments, and state and federal statues regulating human resources functions.
- Strategic relationship skills - people management, meeting facilitation, presentation ability, collaboration and support.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Computer knowledge and skills, i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and HRIS experience.
- Experience with using and managing HRIS software and systems, preferably ADP systems.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities timely and efficiently within a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interactive communication skills with all levels of employees, management, and business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and project company image necessary to effectively attract and retain employees.
- Understanding of confidentiality within the HR department.Ability to build trust and serve as an employee advocate.
- Conscientious, organized and meticulous - records must be accurate and maintained.
- Ability to read, understands, and communicates internal procedures and policies.
- Team oriented with a continuous improvement outlook.
- Understanding of Behavioral Interviewing Techniques.
- Ability to learn the basics of manufacturing processes within the facility.
- Ability to create presentations and to make presentations to employees at all levels.