The HR Manager for Domtar's Pulp & Paper Division is a member of the Mill Leadership team, directly reporting to the General Manager, with a dotted line report to the Regional HR Director. As a Strategic HR Business Partner to the General Manager this position will collaborate to deliver Domtar's strategic and operational objectives, aligned with human capital plans. This role will need to have the ability to act strategically and drive change within the business. This is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides full cycle Human Resource support to our employees, union and leaders.
This position provides leadership and direction for all HR functions to achieve mill strategic goals through human capital
The HR Manager is a consulting partner to the leadership team, and will act as a change agent for the culture evolution and process improvement. The HR Manager forms partnerships with management and union leadership to create superior relationships to facilitate the attainment of the organization's business objectives.
The HR Manager is expected to maintain an effective level of business literacy regarding the business unit's financial position and business plans
- Collaborate with leadership team to ensure human capital objectives are aligned and tied to the overall strategic and operational business objectives to deliver financial results.
- Provide leadership through understanding of key financial, operational business metrics and monitoring shifting trends to remain competitive within the industry.
- Ensure leadership culture and coaching to drive a performance culture, aligned with Domtar values and behaviors throughout the business.
- Act as a change management leader with strong emphasis on operations and productivity improvements.
Employee Relations/Labor Leadership:
- Lead all labor relations functions, including but not limited to: negotiations, grievance resolution, arbitrations, and the administration of collective bargaining agreements.
- Develop and maintain a positive partnership with union leadership to ensure sustainable business operations and results.
- Manage all compliance related issues including NLRB, EEOC, OFCCP, OSHA, and Workers Compensation matters.
- Coach Managers and Employees through complex performance management issues.
- Lead and drive the succession planning of mill talent process building a talent culture
- Partner and coach key leaders to deliver reviews and performance plans.
- Conduct recruitment efforts locally to find key talent and build bench strength, including partnering with local universities to strengthen Domtar's brand and recruitment efforts; support relocation program as needed
- Manage a team of HR direct reports
- Administer compensation program; monitor performance evaluation program and revise as necessary
- Develop and maintain affirmative action program; file EEO-1 report annually; maintain other records, reports, and logs to confirm to EEO regulations
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment
- Manages local records and reporting in the Human Resource Information and Workforce Management Systems
- Strong understanding of financial business metrics with the ability to develop HR metrics to drive decisions.
- Strong analytical skills and timely decision making ability.
- Good communicator at all levels of organization to include listening, writing and presenting.
- Change agent with the ability to collaborate well with others.
- Ability to influence and lead.
- Strong conflict resolution and performance management skills.
- Open-minded and outside of the box thinker.
- Proven success in leading Human Resource strategies; initiatives and projects from inception to implementation in a leadership capacity
- Demonstrated high level of time-sensitive work prioritization, accuracy, organizational and communication skills
- Basic experience with applicant tracking systems, running I-9 verifications, ordering background and drug screens.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Business Administration or related field required; Master's Degree preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in manufacturing environments supporting both union and non-union, preferably in a manufacturing/paper mill setting.
- Demonstrated strong change management skills.
- Experience coaching managers and employees for effective skill building.
- Strong Conflict resolution and performance management skills
- Advanced proficiencies in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); knowledge in Outlook preferred.