Canam is seeking an experienced Human Resources Manager to work collaboratively with Senior Management to foster positive employee relations through effective communication, leadership and support.
Foster and facilitate an environment of employee engagement with new policies and programs; provide managers with the proper tools, coaching and support necessary to fully understand policy and procedures, applicable state and federal laws; provide training when necessary, to managers and employees to ensure clear comprehension and success of HR programs, policy and procedure implementation. Support and assist with employees’ professional development.
- Work with plant management in assessing departmental needs and organizational planning and development, evaluating structure, job design and manpowerforecasting throughout the company;
- Plan, organize and control all activities of the department. Participate in developing departmental goals, objectives and systems;
- Rewrite position descriptions as necessary; monitor performance evaluation/review processes and revise as necessary;
- Develop, recommend and implement personnel policies and procedures; prepare and maintain handbooks and orientation programs, perform benefits administration to include claims resolution through the benefits carrier or benefits broker;
- Support and maintain affirmative action plans and programs; maintain other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations;
- Oversee labor contract negotiations and contract administration, including grievances and arbitrations;
- Maintain staffing levels consistent with plant objectives. Recruit, interview, and select employees to fill vacant positions. Plan and coordinate new employee orientation to foster positive attitudes toward company goals;
- Train managers and supervisors in conducting interviews and selection in compliance with company policies and procedures;
- Oversee employee payroll, benefit administration, workers compensation and employee relation’s functions;
- Conduct wage and salary surveys within local labor markets to determine competitive rates and develop and implement salary administration plan;
- Assist with preparation of the budget for human resources operations and request and approve purchases through Direct Internal Approval process;
- Compile and analyze a variety of data (turnover, absenteeism, etc) and develop programs / practices to address areas of concern;
- Represent Canam at personnel related hearings and investigations, including unemployment claims, workers’ compensation, EEO, labor arbitrations, etc;
- May contract with outside suppliers to provide employee services;
- In conjunction with departmental managers, develop and coordinate company’s general training needs. Conduct training on company policy issues, employee development and other issues as they arise;
- Develop Employee Relations by counseling employees and other managers on various employee relation issues;
- Ensure compliance in record keeping and reporting related to all areas of responsibility are consistent with all applicable policies, procedures, laws and regulations (i.e. I-9s, workers’ compensation, etc.);
- Develop and maintain the DOT Driver certification program for their respective site;
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in an effective manner with customers, co-workers, clients and supervisors;
- Perform other job duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field plus a minimum of 5 years of progressive human resource experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to operate various types of HR software;
- Good communications skills; verbal and written;
- Ability to foster collaborative working relationships throughout the organization;
- Experience managing HR in a union environment preferred;
- HR certification preferred (SPHR, PHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP).