The Human Resources Generalist will have a significant role in managing recruiting, onboarding and employee relations for the firm. Additional responsibilities will focus on staff development, performance management, solving staffing shortfalls due to unexpected and/or long-term absences, employment law compliance and various administrative tasks.
The person in this position will partner closely with the Director of Human Resources, and be instrumental in making things happen. A close working relationship with the two other HR team members will be essential in delivering seamless support. As someone who will be involved with all aspects of the department's functions, flexibility, exceptional organizational skills, and a strong service focus is critical.
- Support staff recruitment efforts, both full-time and temporary, including such activities as managing job descriptions and postings, liaising with search firms and agencies, reviewing resumes, phone screening, scheduling interviews, background checks, and references, and preparation of offer letters. Understands progressive trends in recruitment and sourcing.
- Coordinate new hire preparations with all appropriate internal functions, e.g., IT, Office Services.
- Prepare and schedule new hire orientation.
- Conduct 30-day check-ins and 90-day performance reviews with new staff hires.
- Partner with Director of Human Resources, Administrative Directors, Partners-in-Charge, Practice Group Leaders and/or Team Leaders in managing staff employee relations issues as appropriate.
- Work with Practice Group Leaders and/or Team Leaders to address work distribution issues, as well as attorney/assistant assignment changes. Work with Administrative Directors to address any staffing shortfalls within functional areas.
- Address staff performance issues, in consultation with Director of Human Resources and appropriate supervisor(s). Create development plans as necessary.
- Partner with Director of Human Resources in developing recommendations for annual staff compensation increases and bonuses.
Provide back-up support
- Upon being cross-trained as necessary, will be expected to provide backup support in handling benefits and other HR-related issues.
Events planning / training logistics
- Assist as necessary with coordinating special events, such as annual staff recognition lunch, Staff Appreciation Week activities, Portland Day of Community Service, and United Way campaign.
- Coordinate staff training events as requested, including sending out invitations and handling logistical issues.
Miscellaneous administrative support
- Manage paperwork and/or process related to:
- Workers' comp claims
- Unemployment claims
- Review invoices, prepare for approval signature
- Maintenance of HR section on internal website
- Parking assignments and waitlist
- Assist Director of Human Resources with special projects as necessary
- Bachelor's degree at a minimum, preferably in Human Resources
- Experience working in a law firm strongly desired
- Minimum of five (5) years Human Resources generalist experience. A plus to have some payroll and/or benefits administration experience. Familiarity with Paylocity payroll system would be ideal.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional administrative and planning skills. Attention to detail an absolute must.
- Able to manage oneself in a high performance environment, with an emphasis on flexibility and strong customer focus
- Able to take direction, yet essential to be self-motivated and forward thinking, always anticipating upcoming needs