The Human Resource Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the Human Resources Manager. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: labor relations, on-boarding, performance management, policy implementation, recruitment/employment, HR administration, training, affirmative action and employment law compliance.
- Administer day-to-day activities pertaining to labor relations issues for union plant including: contract administration language interpretation, handling grievances, job bid process, performance management. Provide day-to-day advice and assistance to site management on contract/collective bargaining agreements interpretation and implementation. Process grievances and provide response/resolution recommendations.
- Develops and maintains affirmative action program and maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations
- Improves manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions; implementing selected solution; coaching and counseling managers and employees
- Conducts recruitment effort for nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; schedule interviews, updates and maintains the applicant tracking log, schedules pre-employment physicals.
- Assist with employee relations counseling and exit interviews
- Conducts new employee orientations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans, HR policies and enrollment provisions. This includes all levels of employees
- Creates and prepares HR reports as requested including, but not limited to, headcount reports.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures for continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed
- Maintains employee personnel files and other departmental files in an organized and secure and confidential manner
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment
- Assist in coordinating and implementing plant safety activities, company policies, procedures and practices
- Assist in coordinating and implementing company sponsored events and employee recognition programs
- Serve as a Champion of Ferrara Candy Company's values and culture
- Perform other duties as assigned
- General knowledge of employment laws in COBRA, FMLA, DOL and OSHA
- Experience in the administration of benefits, worker's compensation and other Human Resources programs
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment including strong Excel skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills
- Solid presentation skills; ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a business related discipline
- Demonstrated 5 years of proven human resources experience preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred