The HR Director is responsible for the planning and delivery of a wide range of HR programs for the Aviation Division located at Richmond, BC. These include employee relations, labour relations, recruitment, onboarding, training and development, performance management, workplace health, safety and wellness, compensation and benefits. This role includes LR oversight for approximately 1500 unionized employees under three different unions throughout BC and Whitehorse. This role will also develop a collaborative working relationship with major stakeholders.
The HR Director also works with the G4S National HR Team to ensure Company compliance with statutory and legislative requirements and in the design and delivery of programs and processes aimed at meeting the Company goals and objectives and ensuring alignment with the mission and values of G4S.
The HR Director will join the Aviation Senior Management Team in supporting people and culture at 21 airports across British Columbia and the Yukon Territory.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES include but not limited to:
- Operates as a member of the senior leadership team in developing business strategies and contributes to operational and management decision-making in meeting strategic business objectives.
- Provides leadership in the development of human resources plans and provides support and guidance to the management team in bringing a human resources perspective to the business activities of the client area.
- Promotes and contributes to the development of the Aviation Division goals and strategies with a focus on human capital; sets clear goals and objectives for the HR activities in order to meet client and G4S requirements, obligations, policies, and procedures.
- Works with the Aviation senior management team to ensure that an effective planning process for ensuring client contract compliance is deployed at the provincial, geographical unit and departmental levels of the Aviation Division.
- Collaborates with the management team to assess the short/long-term workforce requirements of the organization and support the business to identify high potential individuals for career development plans.
Employee and Labour Relations:
- Leads a team of HR/LR practitioners to develop, support and sustain the effective delivery of HR services, policies, programs and best practices to the various business units.
- Provides guidance and assistance to Senior Management, HR team members and other employees on performance management, terminations, HR policies and procedures.
- Acts as key resource in the interpretation and administration of collective agreements.
- Participates in, and/or takes lead role in negotiating union contracts; responsible for employee/union grievances at the second level.
- Provides advice to G4S Aviation Division management on the establishment, continuation, and termination of bargaining rights.
- Prepares the Aviation Division for collective bargaining; formulates bargaining strategies consistent with the short and long-term needs of the organization, as well as its strengths and vulnerabilities.
- Advises G4S Aviation management on matters related to arbitration; provides consultation and risk assessment in issues involving arbitration; participates in arbitration proceedings.
- Provides input into the development of employee feedback systems; gathers and analyzes employee feedback to assist decision-making.
- Leads the design, delivery and implementation of workplace change management.
- Works with the Senior Management Team in facilitating and driving change initiatives and in developing and implementing transition and restructuring strategies.
- Monitors and reports on the progress of major change initiatives.
- Provides guidance on the planning and execution of a project including the communication to and training of individuals affected by the change.
Recruitment and Retention
- Work with Director, Talent Acquisition to develop and monitor a recruitment strategy that is routinely updated to ensure that adequate staffing needs are met.
- Utilizes dynamic workforce planning that regularly considers the changing business requirements.
- Ensures recruitment team adheres to G4S best practices of attracting, selecting, hiring, and on-boarding employees.
- Develops and/or customizes performance management program for Aviation.
- Assists management in setting performance and learning objectives;
- Coaches managers on how to help employees achieve required performance levels.
- Monitors the success of feedback through performance appraisals and coaching.
The Ideal Candidate:
Formal Education, Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or equivalent combination of training and experiencerequired.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive HR/LR management experience in a unionized environment is a must;
- Experience in leading an HR/LR teams and handling an HR portfolio that includes a wide range of HR programs is a must.
- Experience working in in a fast-paced, multi-site, multi-union operation is highly preferred.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, project management and organizational abilities are required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with an ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels.
- Proven ability to consult with internal stakeholders and influence decisions and outcomes to meet Company goals and objectives.
- Proven ability to develop and implement consistent policies and procedures with site-specific processes and solutions.
- Must possess sound business acumen with conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Functioning at the senior management level, must be able to work both independently and as part of a management team.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google suite, HRIS systems.
- Must be able to secure and maintain the appropriate level of security clearance
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Ability to work outside office hours as needed.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and access to own vehicle is an asset.
About the Company:
G4S is an inclusive and equitable employer, encouraging applications from qualified women and men including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.
G4S est un employeur inclusif et équitable, en encourageant les candidatures de femmes qualifiées et les hommes y compris les personnes handicapées, les membres des minorités visibles et les personnes autochtones.
Job Reference: G4S/TP/2239755/110358