Position DescriptionDo you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us. Job Summary
The Director of Human Resources is the senior-most executive level human resource role, and is responsible for all aspects of the function, including the design, implementation, and execution of the company's human resources strategy tosupport the company's goals. This position spans a broad range of responsibilities in many areas, including cross-functional team leadership and counsel to the senior executive team, organizational development, leadership development, training, full-service recruitment, employee relations, performance management, compensation, benefits, wellness, and organizational leadership on an executive level.
HR Leadership: An active business partner who will consistently demonstrate an understanding that his/her duties are twofold: to both manage the HR function and to serve as the President's partner on the effect of all business decisions on the organization's human resource needs.
ERP Implementation & Change Management: It is critical that the Director of HR assist senior management in aligning the challenges and opportunities of the growing organization and in communicating a common vision and culture to all associates. This individual must be able to react nimbly to rapidly changing company and market needs without slowing down the business process.
Innovation and Entrepreneurialism: The Director of HR must craft and execute a strategic plan for creating an enhanced human resources function in the context of FirstService Residential's overall business strategy and aligned to our core values and culture shaping principles.
Performance Management and Employee Relations
- Implement an effective performance management system with mechanisms for developing associates' potential and rewarding competencies FirstService Residential needs to succeed.
- Ensure associates see the connection between their work and the company's strategic objectives.
- Team with supervisors to coach associates to maximize performance and to implement performance improvement plans with non-performing associates.
- Act as a senior advisor to managers on employment issues, promotions, performance issues and terminations.
- Responsible for FirstLine (ethics hotline) communication and incident investigations.
Recruiting and Retention of a High Performing Culture
- Identify, evaluate, and attract great talent for various roles across the company.
- Encourage robust on-boarding plans to effectively integrate new associates.
- Analyze causes of turnover and suggest approaches to drive improvements in associate retention.
- A strong desire and ability to coach, mentor and develop staff. Not only the HR and Training team, but the overall leadership team as well.
- Produce key company-wide communications to convey, enhance and modify company culture to support company goals and drive associate satisfaction.
- Support a process of organizational development that plans, communicates and cascades the results of strategic planning throughout the organization.
- Recommend organizational structure and staffing levels to accomplish company goals and objectives.
- Administer engagement surveys (FirstVoice) to gauge and assess associate engagement and work on implementing the necessary training initiatives as indicated by the results. Analyze results and provide suggestions and solutions for overall improvement.
- Work as a leader and liaison on west and national initiatives to enhance the company culture and specifically the experience of the associates.
Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) and Metrics
- Manage the development, maintenance and data integrity of HRIS in partnership with the SSC, including recruiting, benefits, and other key data.
- Effectively leverage technology to streamline and enhance HR operations.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to stakeholders to guide decision-making.
- Manage the HR side of acquisitions and takeover business including culture, change management, benefits, compensation, incentives, performance, organizational structure, communication, redundancies, policies, and others.
Compliance with Regulatory and Legal Matters
- Lead company compliance with labor law and reporting requirements, including EEO, ADA, FMLA, ERISA (with the CFO), DOL, workers compensation, DFEH, and OSHA.
- Direct preparation of information or investigations required for compliance. Serve as contact with employment attorney and outside government agencies.
- Identifies legal and compliance issues related to HR and manages the company's risk and exposure.
Requirements & Skills
- Bachelors' degree required, (MBA is a plus) in Human Resources or a related field.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions, with 5 at a senior level.
- Specialized and current training in employment law, compensation, training, organizational planning, organizational development, employee relations, and workers comp/safety preferred.
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement preferred.
- Specialized Human Resources certifications such as SPHR preferred
- An experienced leader and human resource executive with appropriate industry experience.
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- A strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- A well-organized and self-directed individual who is "politically savvy" and a team player.
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills.
- A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor.
- An excellent facilitator who is experienced in resolving conflicts between different parties to a dispute.
- A decisive individual who possesses a strategic focus as well as an operational, implementation and detail oriented perspective.
- Diverse experiences in managing a range of administrative areas of responsibility.
- Proficient in English (Spanish is a plus)
- Excellent analytical, quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills.