Human Resources Business Partner
Less than 5 years experience • Insurance
Human Resources Business Partner
The HR Business Partner, with limited supervision, is responsible for the successful management of personnel practices and policies for our client. This business partner conducts policy interpretation and administration; manages employee relations; ensures compliance with local and state regulations; serves as payroll backup; and performs other duties as may be necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness of the Human Resources Department. Under general supervision, acts as HR liaison to internal customers (the staff) on human resources issues; resolving complex employee relations issues and grievances. Incumbent will provide support and information to external customers or agencies on periodic inquiries and requests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the management of employee relations and performance management issues; communicates with internal staff on policy inquiries or policy matters such as equal employment opportunity, leave management, disputes, sexual harassment– will refer / elevate issues to AVP of HR as may be required.
- Assists supervisors when needed in initiating disciplinary process or performance management inquiries. Assists department heads in identifying, documenting and communicating results and deficiencies in performance. Reviews performance appraisals and action plans and provides feedback to leaders prior to communicating with employees.
- Communicates with employees as required in resolving conflicts and acting as a mediator in facilitating resolution.
- Assists in the management of HR legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resources federal and state requirements; maintaining records.
- In conjunction with the AVP, manages the organizational plan, including developing and updating job descriptions, determining skills and competencies required for specific jobs, and determining developmental/promotional opportunities within job families and functional areas.
- Analyzes HR trends and metrics and provides recommendations on HR strategies
- Counsels managers and employees about on-the-job and formal training opportunities to develop new skills and prepare for advancement in coordination with the HR Director. Assists managers and employees in preparing Individual Development Plans and annual goals and objectives.
- Maintains analysis of organizational structures and charts, responsibilities, team work, business or operating procedures, reporting relationships and work processes to assist in the design of efficient methods of accomplishing work.
- Participates in new employee orientation when necessary. Provides input to improve and further develop new employee orientation and other training and development programs arising from performance reviews.
- Manages community relations programs, employee relief and volunteer programs for the hiring company.
- Assists management on all annual HR employee activities and welfare events.
- Performs additional duties as may be required for both, non-standard situations and as a back-up in the event of the absence of or in conjunction with HR Generalist(s).
Education and / or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or a related field, and a minimum of 3+ years of experience in Human Resources in a professional level position.
- Background and experience in the property casualty industry, preferred.
- Ability to carry out successful employee relations and manage conflicts; able to effectively interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to partner and collaborate with business leaders and employees to achieve business goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral required
- Excellent teamwork
- Must have above average proficiency with Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Bilingual English and Spanish – this is a MUST HAVE. (Conversational Spanish will not enough) Ability to use both languages in day-to-day routine business as well as during presentations.
Licenses and / or Certifications:
PHR/SPHR Certification, preferred.
The Hiring Company
Our client is a 250-employee subsidiary of a Puerto Rican Company that has been in business for over 32years. The company as a whole has over 1300 employees, with most of them being in Puerto Rico and 250 being here in the US. This person will work as the right hand of the Director of HR and the AVP of HR, with focus on employee relations, investigation, grievances, team building, team recognition, corrective actions, performance management and talent development. Incumbent must be bilingual and able to communicate both verbally and in writing in English and Spanish. Conversational Spanish is not enough. This is an individual contributor. Department Structure is AVP HR, Director HR, HR Business Partner (vacancy), HR Generalist and HR Assistant. Position will work out of our Sarasota, Florida Office.
Our client is a wholly owned subsidiary with extensive insurance knowledge, experience and commitment to quality and service and is Puerto Rico's principal supplier of property/casualty, auto and life insurance, policy financing and investment products.