Every day, Mattress Firm wakes up to the opportunity to improve the lives of our community and team members through our business. And each night, Mattress Firm goes to sleep a better place to work because of the individual contributions of our passionate team members, supported by our strong commitment to Improving You, both professionally and personally.
Ready to find your dream job?
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) is responsible for serving as a strategic partner and consultant to designated business units’ management and employees on all Human Resource related issues, assessing/anticipating HR-related needs, acting as an employee champion and change agent, and for aligning/integrating HR solutions with business objectives. The HRBP is also responsible for maintaining an effective level of literacy about the business/organizational unit(s) supported and their plans/culture, developing partnerships across all HR function to communicate business needs proactively, and for developing/delivering value added services that reflect business objectives.
- Partner strategically with business leadership to drive Human Resources programs and initiatives.
- Attend business line meetings to provide valued added HR support and obtain information on HR related business needs.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with other HR groups to develop solutions, programs and policies to effectively address business needs.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations and ensure appropriate interpretation of HR policies.
- Act as a point of contact to leadership, associates (and third parties when applicable) for Human Capital software support or any HR functional areas.
- Work closely with leadership and associates to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Develop and ensure the proper administration of guidelines and instructional materials for advising managers and employees on state/federal employment regulations, collective agreements, benefits and compensation policies/ practices/procedures, and classification programs.
- Present at town hall meetings and orientations as required to assist in the assimilation of employees into the organization.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to the daily management of employees to reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Partner with Legal Department staff as required/needed for resolution of complex Employee Relation cases or issues that arise.
- Assist in the development, preparation, implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Conduct focus group meetings or surveys to collect organizational feedback as needed. Lead strategic plan for elevating Employee Engagement Survey results.
- Plan, develop, evaluate, improve, and communicate methods and techniques for selecting, promoting, compensating, evaluating, and developing employees.
- Identify business unit and individual employee training needs and follow-up to ensure training objectives are met.
- Plan/develop curricula and materials for HR training programs in conjunction with Learning and Development team. Facilitate training for leadership and associates.
- Analyze organizational, occupational, and industrial data to facilitate HR functions and provide technical information to business, industry, and government.
- Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information, with proper care and urgency.
- Participate and/or lead special projects and perform other duties as required.
Hours and Travel
- A typical work week is 40 hours Monday through Friday.
- This position requires the ability to travel up to 20% of the time, including overnight commercial travel to markets, sometimes with little or no notice.
- Flexibility to be available for emergency calls, even during off hours
- Bachelor's Degree in an HR related discipline from an accredited college or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years Human Resources experience, including 2 years of management.
- Experience in the Retail industry preferred.
- SHRM SPHR or PHR certification highly desired.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of HR principles/practices and related federal, state and local laws/regulations/reporting requirements.
- Excellent oral/written communication, consulting and client management skills.
- Expertise in mediation and conflict resolution.
- Strong analytical skills, MS Excel and Word proficiency.
- Ability to be effective in a fast paced work environment serving multiple clients with shifting priorities.