The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This role provides leadership, guidance and counsel on company policies involving Human Resources and Labor Relations. Position is accountable, in conjunction with the Plant HR Manager(s), for effective administration of human resource activities in a union and non-union environment of all personnel activities within an assigned geographical region.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Develop organizational strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contribute information, analysis, and recommendations to organization strategic thinking and direction; establish human resources objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Oversee human resource staff directly or through supervisors; plan, assign and review assignments; counsel staff; evaluate job performance and approve or recommend actions.
- Be informed on all company initiatives and provide input for their successful implementation. To maintain and or improve a positive employee relations environment at the plants. Attends all labor/management, safety and workers compensation meetings in the assigned plants. Keeps HR staff appraised as to the overall labor/management atmosphere in plants. Identifies current and potential labor problems and recommends measures for corrective action.
- Manage all HR functions at the Plant to include; employee recruitment, orientation, training, labor relations, benefit & employee services, either through primary function or through performance of subordinates.
Policies, Programs and Procedures
- Maintain and/or improve a positive employee relations environment at the plants. Attends all labor/management, safety and workers compensation meetings in the assigned plants. Keeps HR staff appraised as to the overall labor/management atmosphere in plants. Identifies current and potential labor problems and recommends measures for corrective action.
- Implement and manage on-going policies, programs, and procedures to foster understanding of an improvement in management, supervisory or employee relations.
- Counsel managers and/or supervisors concerning human resource policies and procedures; review and resolve issues.
- Ensure administrative, management and production employee retention at the plant is maintained at an acceptable level.
- Use knowledge, experience, and continuous interpretation of plant dynamics to help understand and determine the training and educational needs of the production, administrative and management employees.
Union Contract Interpretation & Negotiation
- Promote and maintain satisfactory industrial and economic relations between the company and the Union. Administer grievance procedure and related provisions for collective bargaining agreements on a daily basis in theassigned plants.
- Manage situations involving policy or contract interpretation.
- Lead and mentor others to ensure consistent application of all such rules and policies.
- Develop and implement innovative solutions to personnel and/or labor relations issues affecting the plant tomitigate any legal or compliance-related risks.
- Maintain a positive labor and employee relations environment at the plant by counseling managers and employeeson human resource policies and rules, identifying and resolving problems or recommending courses of action.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by peopleassigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Human Resources, Business or related field and 10+ years of experience; in HR Manager level or higher roles.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management,required.
- Must be experienced in administering California employment laws.
- MBA is preferred.
- PHR or SPHR certification desirable.
- 5+ Years of Labor Relations and Union Avoidance experience.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
- Strong reasoning and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (word, excel, power point and outlook), SAP/HCM, and Payroll database software.
- Possess specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures.
- Bi-lingual skills (Spanish and English) preferred: Speak, read, write, address groups, individuals, conduct investigations, counseling, training, mentoring, using language other than English (as applicable to the business unit).
- Must be able to travel 50% of the time.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources staff at the plant(s).
- Carries out managerial/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities toperform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, and talk or hear.