The individual in this position will lead all aspects of the HSSE programs at HTC. They will be responsible for HSSE compliance with state and federal regulations, as well as other industry and corporate standards. The individual will be a safety and environmental champion at the site, and will work with the site’s staff to drive improvement and simplification of HTC’s HSSE procedures and practices. They will supervise one HSSE Technician and one contractsecurity officer.
As a member of our dynamic team, they will provide site technical support through the identification and resolution of HSSE related issues and implementation of improvements that will positively impact the safety of our employees, contractors, and visitors.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Be a visible GOALZERO leader for the site
- Own and actively manage HTC’s Heath, Safety, Security, and Environmental systems to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements,
- Interact with site personnel to ensure a consistent understanding of regulatory requirements
- Serve as site liaison during regulatory inspections and for regulatory reporting
- Complete and submit accurate environmental reports to regulatory agencies
- Lead all environmental permit application activities
- Interact with researchers, technicians, and maintenance to ensure a consistent understanding of both regulatory and site requirements.
- Develop a basic knowledge of the research activities to which the regulations and requirements must be applied and be able to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Coordinate required area and personnel exposure monitoring
- Able to effectively manage multiple tasks, but also able to relinquish tasks that can be performed by support staff or other professionals.
- Adapt to the situation at hand and be able to recommend solutions. Able to identify HSSE issues, develop an action plan to address issues, execute the plan and evaluate success of the program.
- Able to establish measureable objectives, monitor performance and track progress.
- Serve as HSSE resource for management, researchers, operations, laboratory, and maintenance functions during planning and execution of research activities.
- Supervise one HSSE Technician and one contractsecurity guard
- Facilitate formal incident investigation teams
- Represent the site in best practice groups and corporate HSSEnetworks
The Ideal Candidate Should Have:
- Bachelors or master’s degree in Engineering, Science, Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related technical discipline, or significant related industrialexperience.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Environmental Professional (CEP) is strongly preferred.
- Position requires a minimum of 5years of professional HSSE experience, with at least 2years in an industrial R&D, refining or a chemical manufacturing environment.
- Candidate should possess in-depth knowledge of the industrial safety profession and OSHA regulations or environmental permitting and reporting requirement, as well as a working understanding of behavioral safety, industrial hygiene, incident investigation, process safety, loss prevention, and worker's compensation.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate across multiple levels within the site and in different group settings.
- Experience leading teams, supervising or directing employees is desired.