This is a corporate position responsible for the accurate and timely processing of the biweekly hourly and salaried payroll at each location (multi-site/ multi-state) and related responsibilities such as tax reporting, benefits-records administration and HRIS system maintenance. This position serves as the key point person to the external payroll service provider (currently ADP) and simultaneously to the internal HR, Corporate Finance and Finance partners at each site. Additionally, this position is responsible for all interfaces between HR systems, compliance and data accuracy. This is a hands-on leadership position where the scope is a blend of strategic focus as well as a roll up your sleeves tactical position with a small team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Delivering excellent business results through the efforts of their team, these results are achieved by:
- Balancing a strategic work focus as well as jumping into the sometimes daily/weekly/ monthly functional tasks involved with supporting the deliverables of the department.
- Take a leadership role in identifying and where needed, implementing compliance controls (i.e SOX) related to the payroll process for the company.
- Facilitate conversion of decentralized payroll into a centralized payroll function from the corporate office.
- Communicate with leadership and business partners on updates of regulatory and operational changes regarding payroll and business impact.
- Support onboarding of new employees, HRIS supervisor/employee training as well as separations in a timely and compliant manner.
- Assist finance with all payroll and related reports for journal entries for accounting team in support of month, quarter and year-end close and support of auditor requests.
- Register for new state/SUI/local payroll tax as needed and add jurisdictions in the payroll system
- Manage unemployment rates with each registered payroll state and ensure accurate and current information is in the payroll system.
- Take a leadership role in annual financial, workers comp, state compliance, and 401k audits by responding to auditor requests as it relates to payroll.
- Manage and participate in 401k activities and interact directly with the 401k provider to ensure proper handling of employee’ enrollment, loans, repayments, payroll contributions; provides yearly census and compliance testing to 401k provider; assist provider with year end filing of Form 5500
- Ensure system setup for annual benefits enrollment and deductions in HRIS including carrier connections with vendor partners.
- Responsible to audit monthly benefit invoices against current enrollments.
- Manage the COBRA process through vendor partner
- Support the equity incentive program (stock option & restricted stock agreement) in partnership with HR and Finance
- Make recommendations on updating policies and procedures related to payroll processing and HRIS program management
- Develop and promote proactive approaches using the HRIS to solve business needs/problems while also continually seeking ways to enhance the understanding and adoption of the HRIS capabilities.
- Responsible for creating, scheduling and distributing custom reports based on the business, finance, or external need.
- Provide analysis of payroll and related costs to identify trends and to ensure accurate reporting
- Ad-hoc projects, reporting and account reconciliations, and other assignments as needed to support finance and HR.
- In partnership with your HR team, interview, select and supervise the activities of the department staff; communicate interpret and discuss with team the company policies and procedures.
- Determine job objectives, work methods and performance standards; review performance relative to departmental objectives discussion appraisal with each employee and performance; authorize and communicate salary changes, promotions, transfers, discipline and discharge and administer all other personnel actions.
- All other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of various software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and other proprietary programs) and current HRIS system (ADP).
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Creative problem solver: ability to quickly grasp the business issues and develop the best solution; finds creative ways to solve complex issues among demanding parties and achieve “win-win” resolutions
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt easily to rapidly changing business conditions
- Ability to design and strategize, as well as execute and implement
- Results-focused; accountable and strong sense of ownership
- Strong interpersonal skill and relationship management
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or Management strongly preferred
Experience and/or Training: 5 years relevant experience minimum; multi-state payroll experience required; CPP certification preferred
- Moderate physical activity. This position will require frequent walking, sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, carrying, heavy lifting (max. 25 lbs.), reaching while standing, gripping and twisting hand movements, finger control and other general repetitive motions (for more than four  hours per day).
- Ability to read and understand applicable materials.
- Manual dexterity to operate calculator/computer.
- Able to read and interpret company documents.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior office work environment.
- The noise level is usually moderate.
Inotiv is an Equal Opportunity Employer