As the HR Operations Director, you will be instrumental in building the HR systems and infrastructure that will help us to scale thoughtfully as our organization continues to grow from the 330 Upstarters we have today, to many more in the future. You will be responsible for selecting and deploying new HR technology for the next generation of work at Upstart, and will build the processes and policies that enable an employee experience that is seamless, fair, consistent and efficient. You will be responsible for all of the “one to many” experiences we facilitate in People Operations - and you will help us build platforms that provide information that is easy to access for those who need it, yet protected to ensure the utmost care and respect for our sensitive employee information. For success in this role you will bring a deeply analytical and process oriented mindset, HR experience in many different functions, and most importantly a dedication to driving programs that facilitate the employee experience we are looking to drive for our talented team.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Manage HR systems: You will build the strategy and lead the implementation of a more coordinated HR platforms ecosystem. This includes identifying, developing, implementing, and evaluating key HR systems and process initiatives across multiple platforms and enterprise systems.
- Lead one-to-many process transformations: You will oversee the development and management of thoughtful, scalable, HR policies and processes that shape the employee lifecycle and are compliant, efficient, and scalable. This includes onboarding, offboarding, Leaves of Absence, immigration and other compliance related efforts.
- Lead HR reporting: You will make clever use of numbers to help us identify trends, spot problems early and measure Upstart’s progress towards our internal and external people goals.
- Own HR Policies: In close partnership with HR business partners, legal partners and company leadership you will evolve and iterate on our existing HR and employment policies ensuring awareness and consistency.
- Integrate: You will partner with other functions and act as the liaison with Recruiting, Finance, Legal and IT to ensure that there is clear communication, handoffs, collaboration and systems and workflow integrations.
- Manage: You will start with one headcount to assist with manual day to day processes including onboarding, offboarding and immigration, and you will oversee close partnerships with vendors and cross functional team members. Overtime as our operations scale, you may have the opportunity to grow your team.
- Oversee the expansion and/or implementation of HR systems ensuring high-quality data, consistent definitions, and reporting and analytics and business insights
- Deliver a comprehensive roadmap for process transformation including strong project and change management to execute against it
- Lead a team to manage employee lifecycle activities including onboarding, employee changes, employment verifications, workers compensation, leaves of absence, and processing of employee separations
- Maintain up-to-date company information on our HR intranet and self-service portals
- Manage HR/employee records and policies, implement adequate processes and audits, and keep apprised of employment legal updates to ensure company compliance
- Maintain HR compliance (SOX support, national/local laws, COVID-19 updates, new hire notifications, labor laws, policies & procedures, unemployment claims, leaves of absences and I-9 Administration)
- Partner with benefits brokers/vendors to review, update and administer benefits policies and programs, ensuring programs are competitive, compliant and scalable
- Lead our immigration policies and programs, in partnership with legal counsel and recruiting
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 7-10 years of HR, consulting or project management experience, preferably in Tech or Financial Services.
- BA/BS degree required.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Proven track record of implementing and scaling people processes, operations, and systems.
- Ability to build a proposal and gain buy-in using data, insights, stakeholder input and more.
- Ability to build a strategy (using data, insights, stakeholder input), build consensus, get alignment, and execute.
- Experience with HR compliance, benefits, labor laws, policies are a plus, but not required. Resourcefulness and ability to get up to speed quickly on new subject matters is critical.
- Strong business partnering skills and HR acumen, including problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, coaching skills, project management & leadership abilities.
- Advanced project management skills - ability to handle multiple projects at once and competing priorities. Organized, extremely detail-oriented and execution-focused a must!
- Comfort and familiarity with HRIS systems and/or PEOs.
- MBA and/or consulting experience are a plus but not required.
- Ability to influence others when necessary and offer alternative, constructive suggestions in order to lead change.