The HR Manager is responsible for managing the human resource function for a designated organization or function, providing human resource guidance in staffing, employee relations, employment legislation, organizational policies and procedure interpretation and compensation and benefits administration. Through leadership and influence, the HR Manager will support strategic objectives for: Change Management; Business Transformation; Talent Development and Acquisition; People/Talent Development; Communication; and Environment Health & Safety. They will also manage the development and implementation of staffing strategies to ensure effective recruitment, screening, selection and retention of quality employees, using practices consist with company policies and legal requirements, e.g. American EEO, Affirmative action.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Develop staffing plans with managers to develop employees, manage talent, and ensure succession planning
- Source candidates using various methods - both innovative and traditional
- Conduct interviews, recommend candidates and consult with hiring mangers either directly or through subordinates
- Review reference checks and interpret information
- Ensure new hire offers are equitable with current employee salaries
- Ensure hiring practices are in accordance with internal controls and policies while flexible enough to support market pressures and variation
- Track key data trends and recommend corrective actions
- Recommend actions to address issues identified through exit interviews
- Ensure assistance is available to counsel employees and managers to resolve issues such as policy and procedure interpretation, performance expectations, absenteeism, discipline, and workplace harassment and discrimination
- Ensure investigations are conducted when needed and provide recommended corrective actions
- Respond to external agencies as required, e.g. the US EEOC, DOL, attorneys
- Ensure processes are in place to address employee issues and concerns
- Study employee relations trends and implement programs to maintain a positive work environment
- Working with functional managers, manage the delivery and administration of Compensation, Benefits and Performance Management programs
- Educate managers as to the philosophy and business drivers that determine program elements
- Performance reviews, job description writing and evaluation, wage surveys
- Manage employee and management development and education activities
- Coach and mentor management personnel on talent development tools and counsel on available programs
- Writes and delivers presentations to division management and/or government officials regarding human resources policies and practices.
- Facilitate site/functional Resource Groups, develop succession plans and manages career development activities.
- Provide consultation, resources and training assistant to department and division management to assess and address ongoing training and development needs
- Manage programs available for career development
- Provide oversight to ensure equitable access to seminars and other training opportunities
- Manage the planning, development and implementation of the site-wide health and safety programs
- Ensure HR departmental adherence to Smiths quality standards and adherence to division/group policies/procedures. Manage the selection, compensation, appraisal, coaching and feedback, training, developmental process and discipline within department to ensure optimum attraction, motivation and retention of
- Develop and maintain professional networks as a basis for a contribution to the development of best practice and fit for purpose solutions.
- Delivers site/functional communications in accordance with group/divisional/functional communication strategies.
- Collects and analyzes feedback from communications and works with constituents to develop recommended actions.
- Manage the selection, compensation, appraisal, coaching and feedback, training, developmental process and discipline within department to ensure optimum attraction, motivation and retention of employees
- This position is required to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including knowledge of all standards, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes related to the site).
- Engage others, promote, and participate in Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement.
Required Skills andExperience
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources or related field and five to ten years human resource generalist experience and functional experience in benefits, compensation and HRIS, and five years in human resources management; or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- Masters degreepreferred
- Thorough knowledge of concepts and practices within the human resource functions
- Current knowledge of national and regional legal and regulatory environments and requirements
- Ability to shape and lead human resource programs to maximize support for company strategic business goals
- Ability to build relationship as trusted advisor to management
- Ability to build and maintain strong partner relationships with internal customer groups
- Good verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures