HR Business Partner
Less than 5 years experience • Food & Beverage
Human Resources Business Partner - Young's Market Co. - Tustin, CA
The HR Business Partner will be responsible of employee and labor relations, recruiting, and training/organizational development.
This position will counsel management regarding issues such as harassment and discrimination, performance management, succession planning, union contract administration, compliance, recruiting, and other employment related subjects.
- Analyze the state and federal compliance training requirements and establishing courses that meet immediate and future needs.
- Develop staffing plans based upon company needs.
- Counsel management with issues pertaining to progressive discipline and union contract issues.
- Have a working knowledge of federal and state employment related laws and a working knowledge of the union contracts, personnel policy manual and past practice.
- Keep up to date on changes in state and federal employment laws and “letters of understandings” with the local unions.
- Develop relationships with local union business agents and related union representatives.
- Conduct employee investigations that yield pertinent information that will allow for sound decisions to be made when concluding such matters.
- Build working relationships with management in an effort to help them to feel confident and comfortable to bring their employment issues forward.
- Be able to respond to complaints of discrimination by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the state equivalent.
- Conduct investigations into claims of discrimination and harassment and present the facts of the matter and a recommended conclusion to management.
- Be familiar with regulation affecting and experienced in conducting investigation.
- Have a working knowledge of the business, the beverage alcohol industry generally and the legal issues involved in recruiting and interviewing prospective employees.
- Know the primary functions of each department within the company and the essential functions of each job to be filled.
- Create and update job descriptions for each position.
- Have knowledge of both state and federal labor laws as they relate to the recruiting and selecting of employees.
- Have a working knowledge or become knowledgeable of the beverage alcohol industry laws on both the state and federal levels.
- Assure that all employees involved in the recruiting functions are taking notes that substantiate selection decisions.
- Coordinate and/or deliver the new-hire orientation, management training, and employee training.
- Conduct a skill gap analysis, to be able to help improve the supervisor/subordinate working relationship.
- Develop a working knowledge of the Company’s history, structure and products.
- Have a working knowledge of management and organizational development tools and practices.
- Have a strong working knowledge of employment laws and regulation including but not limited to sexual harassment, discrimination, conflict of interest, workplace violence, drug and alcohol abuse and progressive discipline
- Have an ability to develop and deliver professional presentations to sales personnel, operations personnel and management personnel.
- Submit prompt, accurate reports as requested.
- In accordance with state & federal law maintain up-to-date and accurate personnel files and employee relations, personnel recruiting, and training records.
- Keep management informed of all employee relations, recruiting and training opportunities and threats.
- Maintain adequate, well-organized inventories of supplies and materials needed to support the employee relations, recruiting and training functions.
- Document all management counseling sessions and maintain these records in accordance with records retention regulations and policies.
- Maintain open lines of communication and build rapport with all union local business agents, shop stewards, and managers.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with a concentration in Business, Organizational Leadership and/or Human Resources.
- 3 to 5years of experience in an HRGeneralist role.
- PHR or SPHR preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experienceinvestigating harassment/discrimination, wage-hour, and other forms of employee complaints.
- 3 to 5 years of experience administering employee benefits, helping employees with benefit issues.
- Knowledge of Employment/Labor Laws, FMLA, Workers’ Compensation, OSHA, and Union Contract administration.
- Experience administering and managing DOT guidelines in a distribution environment, preferred.
- Beverage industry experiencepreferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) environment.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. This position also requires the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. This position will further requires the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and employees. This position also requires the ability to convey ideas clearly and concisely in both written and verbal communications.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position requires the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
REASONING ABILITY: This position requires the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. This position also requires the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.