Santen is a specialized pharmaceutical company focused exclusively on ophthalmology in global markets around the world with more than 3,500 employees and sales in approximately 60 countries. Santen Inc., located in Emeryville, CA, contributes important ophthalmic research and development efforts worldwide and is home to our regional business teams. This office currently employs about 140 people and will grow by 50%+ in the near future.
With the passionate support of our Japanese parent company and its 125-year heritage, Santen is pursuing intellectually-challenging and stimulating work to deliver game-changing therapies that make hope a reality for people facing vision impairment and loss.
We are driven by and committed to our mission: Delivering Vision, Every Day. Additionally, our Corporate Strategy Policy for FY18-FY20 has provided essential focus for new commercialization efforts that will be fueled through an unprecedented increase in marketing investment and talent acquisition across Marketing, Sales, and R&D teams.
We are in search of top talent to help us meet our aggressive and important goals.
Primary Purpose of Position:
As an HR Business Partner, you will consult and partner with, advise, coach, negotiate, influence, innovate and challenge appropriate functional groups on people-related issues. You will work in partnership with functional leaders to design, develop and drive HR initiatives that meet strategic goals and improve the effectiveness of the organization.
All members of the Santen HR team also take responsibility for leading or participating in projects that span across client groups and specialist functions. This role will also be responsible for Employee Relation matters at Santen, Inc. This includes partnering with management and employees to maintain positive employee relations and designing and delivering proactive ER initiatives to promote a compliant culture of inclusion and tolerance
MAJOR DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Provide ongoing HR Business Partner support to drive the implementation of all HR programs and aspects to specific groups within Santen, Inc.
- Implement the array of Santen HR Processes with your client groups, balancing their specific needs with the efficiency and scale necessary across the organization
- Coach and consult with managers in all issues regarding HR, people management, HR practices, policy, and employment law
- Provide support to employees including assistance with confidential problems and issues
- Coordinate key organizational processes (e.g., headcount planning and budget, performance management, talent management, promotions)
- Collaborate with HR Specialists to coordinate processes including but not limited to Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Compensation Planning, Headcount Planning, Restructuring and Compliance
- Coordinate and optimize the collaboration between global and local teams within the Santen matrix organization to ensure that Global HRprocesses and policies abide by local laws, regulations and US practices
- Focus on continued improvement of programs, policies, practices and processesassociated with meeting the strategic and operational issues of the organization
- Identify opportunities for organizational excellence and help shape strategies and plans to address gaps
- Train management on employer requirements, manager obligations and employee relations skills ensuring compliance across all management processes
- Initiate, carry out and present findings (including possible options moving forward) for employee relations issues (including performance management issues) and HRinvestigations
- Conduct workplace investigations (with emphasis on HR matters, including Harassment & Discrimination allegations, violation of HR policy’s, retaliation concerns) in complex situations demonstrating effective listening, probing and investigatory skills with the ability to synthesize data, identify root problems/causes
- Manage cases through development of investigation plans, interviews, note taking, recommendations and closure.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- 8+ years of relevant HRexperience, with an emphasis on employment law, employee relations and organizational culture
- Bachelor's degreerequired; MBA or other relevant advanced degreepreferred
- J.D. with specialty in Labor Law highly preferred or a strong understanding of Federal, California, and other state and legal considerations related to HR administration
- Experience in leading strategic global change management projects, assessing needs of internal clients, developing and implementing innovative strategies, processes and programs
- Superior ability to successfully manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously
- Protection of confidential information and sensitive materials exercising good judgment
- Methodical, highly organized and detail-oriented work habits
- Foster teamwork, communication and mutual respect throughout the company
- Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate cross-functionally and globally while building strong relationships
- Proven ability to work in high-pressure, highly visible situations
- Demonstrated competency in applying Human Resources principles, policies, and practices
- Proven capacity for learning new functions and concepts quickly; self-starter
- Excellent communication, writing, and organizational skills
- Experience using ADP, Microsoft Office Suite tools (including Outlook, Power Point, Word, Access, and Excel), Applicant Tracking Systems, Success Factors
- Previous work experience with Japanese companies preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30%