WHO WE ARE
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and “large company” benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, “small company” atmosphere.
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies, one of the largest insurers of CaliforniaWorkers' Compensation, is expanding in the Northern California area. BHHC is looking for experiencedWorkers' Compensation attorneys in San Francisco, CA. Must be able to handle all aspects of litigation. Very reasonable caseload with compensation commensurate with experience. Must be able to do all aspects of the job listed in the description below. Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies has an opening in our San Francisco, CAlocation for House Counsel. Responsible for handling a caseload of pendingworkers’ compensation cases as well as making special appearances at depositions, trials and hearings before theWorkers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Reviews files and provide analysis of legal issues to claims.
- By applying extensive legal knowledge, skill and ability, the Staff Counsel will zealously handle all phases of litigation and ethically represent the best interests of the client.
- Directs case along toward resolution/disposition.
- Prepares, attends, and reports on administrative and trial proceedings.
- Provides educational seminars and roundtables to the Claims Unit as needed.
- Drafts pleadings, petitions, correspondence and documentation. Analyzes and sets forth a litigation strategy on a case by case basis.
- Performs legal research.
- Communicates with fellow workers, including Claims, as well as attorneys outside the office, judges, and court personnel.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Lawdegree (LLB or JD) from an accredited law school with 5-8years experience and admitted into the state bar. LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to negotiate, write and interpret business correspondence, reports and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups ofmanagers, clients, customers, and the general public. MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra. REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management. COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processingsoftware; Microsoft spreadsheetsoftware; and be proficient on applicable databases,systems and vendorsoftware programs. CERTIFICATES ANDLICENSES: Valid driver’slicense and member of the California State Bar.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Health and wellness – low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, FSA and EAP benefits
- Company paid Life, Disability and ADD benefits
- Employee Retirement Savings Plan with employer match up to 5 percent of compensation
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Recognition and Rewards Programs
- Company Store
- Discounts across Berkshire Hathaway Inc. companies such as GEICO, See’s Candies, etc.