5 - 7 years experience • Accounting, Finance & Insurance
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies, one of the largest insurers of California Workers' Compensation, is expanding in the Orange County/Los Angeles area. BHHC is looking for experienced Workers' Compensation attorneys in the Southern California area. Attorney would work remotely so location is not important. Board appearances would likely be limited to convenient locations with no need to drive to distant boards. Must be able to handle all aspects of litigation. Very reasonable caseload with compensation commensurate with experience. Must be able to do all aspects of the job listed in the description below. Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies has an opening in the Southern California area for a House Counsel Attorney. Responsible for handling a caseload of pending workers’ compensation cases as well as making special appearances at depositions, trials and hearings before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Reviews files and provide analysis of legal issues to claims.
- By applying extensive legal knowledge, skill and ability, the Staff Counsel will zealously handle all phases of litigation and ethically represent the best interests of the client.
- Directs case along toward resolution/disposition.
- Prepares, attends, and reports on administrative and trial proceedings.
- Provides educational seminars and roundtables to the Claims Unit as needed.
- Drafts pleadings, petitions, correspondence and documentation. Analyzes and sets forth a litigation strategy on a case by case basis.
- Performs legal research.
- Communicates with fellow workers, including Claims, as well as attorneys outside the office, judges, and court personnel.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Law degree (LLB or JD) from an accredited law school with 5-8 years experience and admitted into the state bar. LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to negotiate, write and interpret business correspondence, reports and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra. REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management. COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs. CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: Valid driver’s license and member of the California State Bar.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Health and wellness – low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, FSA and EAP benefits
- Company paid Life, Disability and ADD benefits
- Employee Retirement Savings Plan with employer match up to 5 percent of compensation
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Recognition and Rewards Programs
- Company Store
- Discounts across Berkshire Hathaway Inc. companies such as GEICO, See’s Candies, etc.
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, Pasadena, Omaha, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating for the last 10 consecutive years. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds security and makes us one of the best brands in the marketplace.