Elmhurst Hospital Center (EHC) is the major tertiary care provider in the borough of Queens. The hospital is comprised of 545 beds and is a Level I Trauma Center, an Emergency Heart Care Station and a 911 Receiving Hospital. It is the premiere health care organization for key areas such as Surgery, Cardiology, Women's Health, Pediatrics, Rehabilitation Medicine, Renal and Mental Health Services.
Under direction, with moderate latitude for the exercise of independent initiative and judgment, provides professional pharmacy services in a hospital, clinic or other health care setting.
Examples of Typical Tasks
1. Fills prescriptions and patient orders, resolves discrepancies in patient therapy, and follows-up on problems.
2. Utilizes clinical data in evaluating physician orders to ensure appropriate therapy.
3. Provides and documents drug information and patient counseling.
4. Documents interventions, adverse drug reactions (ADRs), and medication errors.
5. Directs and utilizes personnel including technicians, aides and clerical staff.
6. Assists in the monthly inspection of the patient care units and the Pharmacy.
7. Maintains adequate medication supply in individual work area.
8. Participates in Pharmacy staff in-services and hospital wide programs meetings.
9. Operates and troubleshoots automated dispensing systems, as needed.
10. Advises prescribers on alternative for non-formulary drugs.
11. Utilizes Outpatient and Inpatient computerized systems to enter and access patient care information.
12. Coordinates and analyzes statistics and/or clinical data.
13. Participates in quality management and utilization review programs.
14. May coordinate the work of a small group to accomplish a project or assignment.
15. May participate in the preparation and review of policies and procedures.
16. May assist in the development, implementation and execution of Pharmacy staff training curriculum.
17. In the absence of the supervisor, may assist in the supervision of a Pharmacy unit or function.
Possession of a valid NY State license to practice pharmacy.