The purpose of this role is to provide technical support and leadership for reliable and efficient operations of heat transfer equipment at the Norco Manufacturing Complex. This includes both fired and unfired equipment such as furnaces, boilers, air preheaters, air-cooled heat exchangers, plate-and-frame heat exchangers, and shell-and-tube heat exchangers. The successful candidate will work with Operations, Engineering, Process, and Pressure Equipment Integrity to ensure we continually meet the requirements for heat transfer equipment at the site.
The Heat Transfer Engineer is accountable for:
- Working with site Thermography Specialist to evaluate and monitor equipment utilizing IR thermography.
- Acting as site wide focal point for Equipment Integrity issues related to heat transfer equipment.
- Providing training and mentoring to Operations and other disciplines at the site around heat transfer.
- Coordinating site wide issues related to fired and unfired equipment including equipment integrity, reliability, compliance, operational excellence, and emissions to air.
- Providing technical support for Boiler MACT and other related regulatory programs for fired equipment.
- Providing technical assurance for plant projects and MOC's that affect fired and unfired heat transfer equipment.
- Providing technical assurance on the design, selection, construction, commissioning, and start-up of heat transfer equipment.
- Providing technical assurance on the design, selection, construction, and maintenance of refractory materials and refractory-lined equipment in consultation with refractory specialists.
- Assisting in the planning and execution of heat transfer equipment maintenance.
- Assisting with the inspection of heat transfer equipment inspections during turnarounds.
- Developing requirements for correction of deficiencies on heat transfer equipment.
- Providing expert advice on maintenance and operational issues, including troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Supporting and guiding operations in measures to improve efficiency.
- Developing and supporting new heat transfer equipment technologies.
- Providing operational support during start-up, troubleshooting, and incident and near-miss investigation.
- This role supports both the refinery and chemical plant assets.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in any related course.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in process controls in the field of heat transfer equipment.
- Background in refinery or petrochemical plant processes, and material properties.
- Technical knowledge with HTRI & FRNC5 is an advantage.
- Candidate must possess excellent communication, analytical, and problem solving skills and have the ability to work collaboratively in a team.
- Self-starter who can set own goals and direction with minimal supervision.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in e