Responsible for managing all aspects of multiple, concurrent large and medium size planning projects, of major scope and importance from inception through schematic concept. He/she makes decisions and recommendations for particular planning assignments working with CHOP Facilities Planning staff, CHOP clients and outside consultants where appropriate. Facilities Planners at this level demonstrate a moderate degree of creativity, foresight, mature judgment in guiding planning projects to meet CHOP project objectives. Project goals are achieved within stipulated budget and established schedule.
- Responsible for the overall management of the planning,design,construction, and occupancy phases of multiple, concurrent large and medium size projects of major scope and importance to meet CHOP project goals and objectives. Consistently meets the following CHOP objectives:
- Ensures that projects are completed at or under budget.
- Ensures that projects meet or exceed established standards of quality.
- Ensures that projects are completed on or ahead of schedule.
- Provides for effective and timely project communications between all parties on a regular basis.
- Provides effective integration of diverse and conflicting views for the successful development, coordination and implementation of projects.
- Represents the Hospital to outside agencies.
- Supervision and guidance received relates largely to overall project objectives, critical issues, and new concepts.
- Works independently within established project specific objectives.
- Renders decisions of technical, budgetary, administrative, and schedule nature within overall project specific structure.
- Effectively resolves design issues and project scope conflicts.
- Exercises initiative, good judgement and diplomacy in resolving project conflicts.
- Refers complex and sensitive issues to supervisors for direction and assistance for resolution.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Responsible for managing the planning anddesignphase of the project, monitoring and coordinating the activities of Architectural and Engineering Consultants on assigned projects.
- Develops Requests for Proposals (RFP) on Projects of large or medium size, developing project scope and order of magnitude to retain project design services.
- Reviews proposals received for thoroughness, responsiveness to RFP, cost and quality. Makes recommendation to supervisor.
- Manages the A/E throughout the design phase of the project to ensure that all requirements of the RFP are fulfilled and project design objectives are met.
- Reviews documentation prepared by outside consultants for conformance to CHOP standards of design/construction and Code compliance.
- Checks A/E plans and specifications for adequate documentation, clarity, constructability to avoid future Cost Events/Change Orders.
- Insists that the A/E consultants perform field surveys of existing project specific site conditions to avoid later discovery in the field during the construction phase.
- Facilitates in providing information to the A/E and the project team concerning CHOP project design and construction standards, existing conditions, and any available “As-Built” information.
- Ensures that projects meet all program requirements: Balances user needs against overall project objectives.
- Draws upon a thorough working knowledge of codes and constant re-education of code changes and updates to ensure that all projects in design meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities (NFPA, AIA Guidelines, etc.) as enforced by the local Authorities having jurisdiction.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Draws upon a thorough working knowledge of codes to ensure that all projects in construction meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities.
- Coordinates with the Pennsylvania Department of Health (PADOH) for both construction projects and bi-annual Hospital inspections.
- Ensures that all projects meet or exceed requirements and standards as imposed by the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Represents Hospital to other local Authorities having jurisdiction.
- Responsible for developing and managing the overall projectschedule.
- Prepares and distributes to all project team members, the overall project schedule indicating all project milestones, completion dates, occupancy date, etc. and solicits input from various project team members in preparation of same.
- Responsible for identifying, planning and executing project phasing to minimize disruption to Hospital operation.
- Allows adequate time for other project team member departments to prepare their own timely communications to affected CHOP departments and to work the project requirements into their own department’s scheduled manpower allocations.
- Coordinates project implementation and project impacts with all affected departments by providing effective, clear, concise, and timely communication between all involved parties on a regular basis.
- Routinely walks project construction areas monitoring job status/progress, manpower allocation, and established project milestones are achieved to ensure that targeted completion dates are met.
- Independently initiates corrective action as required to meet project objectives. Schedules all utility interruptions to minimize disruption to CHOP operations and provides timely communications thereof to allow affected departments adequate time to prepare for utility interruption.
- Responsiblefor managing multiple, concurrent in-house projects of moderate scope, size, and complexity.
- Prepares in-house studies, designs, and cost estimates for projects of moderate size and scope.
- Manages the scheduling and construction of in-house design projects.
- Applies architectural/engineering principles and applicable codes in designing in-house projects.
- Analyzes facility planning and programming information including occupancy, square footage, and impacts of proposed changes.
Direction of Others:
- Manages, coordinates, and reviews the work of the project team on assigned projects. Exhibits the ability to provide effective project leadership to meet CHOP project goals and objectives.
- Coordinates and communicates the overall project objectives to the project team.
- Manages the work of Outside Architectural and Engineering consultants throughout project planning, design, and construction phases.
- Schedules project team manpower and assignments to meet milestones, deadlines, and completion dates.
- Knowledgeable of other department time sensitive issues and builds adequate time into project schedule to allow for them.
- Supervises the work of the Construction Manager and othercontractors. Applies pressure as necessary to ensure projects are completed on or ahead of schedule.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
- Registered Architect or Interior Design or Equiv Exp
- Bachelor's Degree in Architecture or Interior Design.
- A minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years experience in the design/management of Healthcare or similar renovation/construction projects of medium size.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Bachelor or Master in Architecture or Interior Design.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Demonstrates effective leadership and indirect supervision of Diverse Project Team including multiple, internal Departments, Consultants and Contractors.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and communication skills.
- Exhibits ability to achieve project objectives on multiple, complex projects running simultaneously.
- Working knowledge of building codes/standards and the application thereof.