This position is primarily responsible for the supervision and management of all facets of assigned total health and wellness programs and the membership department in accordance with the policies established by the Board of Directors of the Roxbury Branch and the General Board of Directors of the YMCA of Greater Boston, under the direction of the Executive Director. This position is the Health and Wellness Champion for the branch and must assist each department in providing resources and support to help implement and maintain quality of health and wellness in their programs. The programs should include, but are not limited to, health and wellness programs in each department for adults, youth, teens, seniors and special populations. Additional responsibilities including supervising and managing water and land group exercise programming. This position is also responsible for the development, administration, and supervision of the Fitness and Sports Departments. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Bilingial a plus
- Respect in the Workplace
- Nationally Recognized Certification in Personal Training and Group Exercise
- Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
- Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Child Abuse Prevention
Bilingual a plus
Respect in the Workplace
- Nationally recogonized personal training certification
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES:
- Develop, implement and oversee all Health and Wellness Programs for every department that reflect the community’s needs and maintain the YMCA’s high standards of quality, safety and character development.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate Assistant Health and Wellness Director, Membership Coordinator, Wellness Consultants, group exercise instructors, and volunteers as programs dictate and budget guidelines allow.
- Integrate a comprehensive health, wellness and membership approach in all programs for children, youth, teens, adults, and special populations.
- Must understand the relationship of the general public, including Public School System, to the Roxbury Branch and Health and Wellness Programs and be able to effectively enhance and cultivate those relationships.
- Coordinate annual special events.
- Develop and implement annual budgets for assigned program areas, and manage agreed upon budgets within operating guidelines.
- Responsible for program enrollment, retention, evaluation, payment records, and reporting of records to the Director of Operations.
- Oversee all purchases and maintain department related supplies within budget guidelines and maintain a clean and safe program area.
- Ten hours of Direct Service delivery of Personal Training, Group Exercise, or Chronic Disease Programing.
- Participate in staff meetings, Board of Director meetings, and professional training as appropriate.
- Attend appropriate quality team as it relates to Healthy Living Cabinet.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA’s mission and goals.
- Act as a role model and incorporate character development values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility into the daily operation of the fitness department.
- Assume other duties deemed necessary by supervisor.