40% Develop & Implement EHS Strategy:
• Under direction of more senior team members, assesses moderately complex Environment, Health and Safety risks and opportunities using full knowledge of EHS practices and standards (including current and short-term future regulatory requirements) and potential impacts on stakeholder (customer, community, interest groups, employees) priorities, or enterprise/ business/location strategy.
• Supports efforts to ensure deep understanding and achieve support of the approved EHS strategy, or relevant parts of the approved EHS strategy, from internal and external partners and stakeholders.
o Internally, this includes contributing to collaboration with a variety of other functions.
o Externally, this may include contributing efforts to educate and to negotiate approvals or permits with regulating bodies, develop support among stakeholders including community or activist groups, customers, unions, and the media community, and work with external consultants.
• Leads or assists in the development of programs and processes involving interpretation and variation to execute EHS strategy in a manner appropriate to the technology, scope and maturity of the team/area.
• Frequently, benchmarks internally and externally to identify best practices of others, consistent with and in support of the EHS strategy, that can be applied effectively.
• With minimal supervision, identifies and implements changes to support continuous improvement of moderately complex Environment, Health and Safety programs and processes.
30% Maintain and Continuously Improve EHS Results:
• With limited supervision, analyzes moderately complex processes and data to identify trends and isolate root causes. Supports process to ensure that appropriate follow-up actions are being implemented.
• Implement and champion existing programs (BBS, HOP, etc) and ISO standards and help support Starches and Sweeteners North America (SSNA) employees' understanding of them
• Through existing systems, enters complex and varied measures and data according to corporate and BU EHS standards.
• Monitors and anticipates short-term change in the external environment, including regulations, science, and stakeholder positioning.
• Assesses applicability and impact within and beyond immediate scope of responsibility. Provides recommendation on tactics to address/support change.
20% Shape Internal EHS Culture:
• Builds effective working relationships with senior-level employees in order to obtain/sustain a strong Environment, Health and Safety culture.
• Supports leaders to implement moderately complex portions of internal communications strategy for key audiences that builds and maintains awareness of Environment, Health and Safety values, strategies, and performance; shares best practices and key learnings; develops talent; and recognizes high performance.
• Supports leaders to promote proactive workplace Environment, Health and Safety practices. Using full knowledge of EHS practices and standards, provides technical, regulatory and behavioral consultation and support required to build a strong EHS culture.
• Designs and delivers moderately complex training solutions related to Environment, Health and Safety issues, practices and risks. Requires full knowledge of EHS practices and standards.
• With limited direction from more senior team members, develops and implements recognition programs to acknowledge positive behavior and celebrate successes on topics of Environment, Health and Safety.
10% Participate and/or lead Corporate EH&S Audits:
• Provides operational/tactical leadership to moderately complex EHS audit, inspection and risk assessment processes.
• With limited supervision, adopts EHS auditing and risk assessment standards and expands as appropriate.
• Using full knowledge of EHS practices and standards, reviews and analyzes audit results requiring some interpretation, to confirm that the corporate, business and government EHS standards are met.
Minimum Required Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree AND 8 or more years of experience in Health and Safety.
• EHS Manager level experience.
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations such as, but not limited to, process safety management, process hazard analysis, hazard recognition/control, behavior based safety (BBS) principles and application.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Individual must be able to build strong relationships with both internal and external customers and participate effectively on cross-functional teams without direct supervisory responsibility of the team
• Demonstrated ability to interact with multiple levels of the facility and with outside agencies and customers
• Demonstrated experience in Program development and implementation of new or changing regulations
• Ability to adapt and learn in a changing work environment
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Strong attention to detail
• Microsoft Office Suite experience
• Ability to work with large amounts of data on multiple spreadsheets including formula writing
• Effective at interacting with regulatory agencies (low contact), facility leadership (high contact), plant personnel (high contact), attorneys (low contact) and consultants (medium contact)
• Ability to work independently
• Demonstrated strong problem-solving and analytical skills
• Excellent communication and presentation skills both verbal and written
• Ability to effectively interact throughout all levels and functions of the organization and with outside agencies
• Ability to be on-call outside normal business hours to assist when needed
• Ability to travel
• Bachelor’s Degree in EHS Management AND 10 years or more experience in Health and Safety.
• 5 or more years of experience as EHS Manager.
• 7 Plus years’ experience in the EHS field in an industrial setting.
• Strong leadership, Organizational and directional competencies
• Professional certifications such as Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Professional Engineer (PE)
• Negotiations experience with regulatory agencies
• Six Sigma Kaizen Lean Tools
• BBS process implementation and management
• Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development and training
• Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Program (RMP) experience
• Experience with facility response plans (FRP)
• Process implementation of EHS Policies and Systems.