Health and Safety Manager ( CIH )
Salary depends on experience
Posted on 11/14/17
11 - 15 years experience
Energy & Environmental Services
Salary depends on experience
Posted on 11/14/17
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively manages GeoEngineers’ health and safety programs and provides leadership in a zero-accident culture, establishing best practice standards, continuously improving company safety efforts, auditing against expectations and keeping leadership apprised of status.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships across groups and business units with individuals at all levels, resulting in trust, alignment, cooperation and mutual support in achieving each other’s goals. Ensures that health and safety programs are value-added and engages in ongoing collaboration efforts relative to further engaging staff in health and safety initiatives companywide.
- Provides project-specific health and safety risk assessment, planning, training and regulatory compliance support for large industrial, transportation, development, federal and energy clients. Conducts health and safety compliance audits as appropriate.
- Conducts project risk assessments, job safety analyses and job hazard analyses to determine appropriate planning, personal protective gear (PPE), required equipment, action limits, and training requirements. Prepares or coordinates preparation of project-specific health and safety plans (HASPs) and necessary Standard Operating Procedures. Conducts or coordinates project site inspections to ensure that health and safety requirements are being met.
- Functions as a technical resource to the environmental groups on complex remediation projects and performs field studies and site testing, including airborne chemical monitoring.
- Manages strategies for compliance based on regulatory, client and company business requirements. Ensures systematic methods are applied to the detection and correction of health and safety non-conformances, as well as procedures for effective corrective and preventive action.
- Establishes effective standards and methods for measuring health and safety performance. Seeks input from leaders and project managers on safety program improvement opportunities. Sets site goals and targets, monitoring progress. Ensures open communication on status and resolution on improvement opportunities.
- Oversees DOT, Non-DOT, and other client-specific drug and alcohol testing programs and compliance, partnering with project managers, office and field staff, outside vendors and Human Resources to do so.
- Supports Workers’ Compensation claims tracking, investigation and management process. Partners with Human Resources on injury management and return-to-work efforts.
- Actively manages Health and Safety Coordinator, including effective coaching and development as well as making recommendations and/or decisions regarding employee matters such as performance and salary review.
- Develops and conducts occupational safety, health and environmental training and educational programs in accordance with company and client requirements.
- Acts as a liaison with clients, authorities and industry organizations so that the company is informed with respect to the most current industry standards. Maintains current knowledge of regulatory requirements and utilizes that knowledge to determine the most effective ways to meet health and safety needs.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Safety, Health or related field required. Graduate degree in industrial hygiene or occupational health or safety preferred.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist certification required.
- 10+ years of progressive professional experience developing, implementing and managing Health & Safety programs, with at least two years’ experience in a people management role.
- 2+ years of experience in the onshore and offshore oil and gas industry highly preferred, specifically working with large clients posing stringent regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of principles and methods for establishing an appropriate health and safety training curriculum as well as training design, teaching and instruction of individuals and groups and measurement of training effectiveness.
- Ability to build trust and confidence with leadership and operations teams and influence change through comprehensive risk assessments and safety data analysis.
- Advanced knowledge of local, state and federal health and safety regulations.
- Knowledge of the engineering and environmental remediation services required.
- Proven experience successfully managing multiple priorities and projects with critical deadlines; exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to utilize excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills when interacting with employees at all levels within the organization as well as clients and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to perform in a decisive and results-oriented manner, with strong business acumen, analysis and problem-solving skills.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.