Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as the Head of Translational Oncology, Cold-to-Hot in our Cambridge office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
The Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will be joining the Takeda Oncology Drug Discovery Unit (ODDU) Translational Oncology group with the objective of leading a team of translational strategy leaders (TSLs) driving the translational strategy for Cold-to-Hot immune oncology projects encompassing projects addressing activation of endogenous immunity. The role is at the interface between discovery and clinical development with focus on differentiation, translational strategy and non-clinical translation. Job title will depend on the experience of the candidate.
- The Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will join the ODDU and lead a team of TSLs that oversees the translational strategy for immuno-oncology projects in the early, late discovery as well as early clinical development.
- The Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will work as a TSL and will join the Cold-to-Hot pillar and embed in project teams at project launch and lead the team’s translational strategy from preclinical development through early clinical development and ePOC
- The Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will define the best strategy for clinically-anchoring the discovery strategy as well as biologically-anchoring projects in the early clinical development space.
- Within the Translational Oncology function, the Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will work closely with team representatives from the Oncology Translation Genomics and Integrated Translational Technologies groups to leverage patient datasets, patient samples, and diverse methodologies to support the translational strategy.
- Within the Translational Oncology function, the Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot will join the ODDU translational oncology extended leadership team and contribute to the overall translational oncology strategy with focus on innovation in translational technologies, non-clinical model systems, patient datasets, data strategy and advanced analytics including AI/ML.
The Head of Translational Oncology Cold-to-Hot leads the TSL team that:
- Generates the translational strategy for programs in early discovery generating an asset strategy document which includes differentiation strategy, mechanism of action, non-clinical model/hypothesis testing, GNG decision points, preliminary patient selection strategy and early clinical development.
- Partners with the global translational lead in clinically-bound projects to ensure continuity in strategy, leads non-clinical hypothesis testing and ensures reverse translation from the clinical pro grams to the discovery portfolio.
- Partners with the project team in the selection and engagement of external collaborators/KOLs to guide the translational strategy across the discovery-development continuum
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD or equivalent degree in a scientific discipline with 10+ years experience , or MS with 14+ years experience, or BS with 16+ years experience
- 5 years of Industry experience leading a team is required
- Superior knowledge in clinical sciences including early clinical development and biomarker strategies in an academic or industry setting
- Superior knowledge and solid understanding of emerging research in immuno-oncology preclinically and clinically
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, reviewing and editing scientific documents
- Superior leadership skills, with strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy and positive-influencing abilities
- Ability to work and drive decision-making within a multi-disciplinary, multi-regional, matrix teams
- Right attitude (agile, curious, open-minded, “can-do” mindset)
- Effective project management skills
- Track record of success and measurable contribution in moving oncology therapeutic programs forward through preclinical and/or clinical development in an academic or industry setting
- Experience in research and/or development of immuno-oncology therapies
- Superior knowledge of the clinical landscape in solid tumours with good understanding of how immuno-oncology therapeutics are impacting the landscape.
- Project team leadership or a translational team member role in an industry setting for assets progressing through IND-enabling studies and/or Phase I/II trials