About the Role
As Head of Technical Accounting, you are an important member of the finance leadership team at a nationally recognized insurance and financial services company. A newly created role, your ability to provide resources to the accounting team and delve into the group’s daily operations creates more capacity and capabilities for the entire team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in developing and maintaining accounting policies and procedures
- Proactively research new (and/or modifying) existing accounting pronouncements – to ensure the Company’s compliance with GAAP & SAP.
- Research and analyze proposed and/or completed transactions. Author Accounting Policy memorandums documenting those transactions
- Monitor, assess and communicate the effects of proposed accounting standard changes
- Provide guidance on accounting implications of new products or transactions. Work with business line leaders on implementation of changes to accounting policies and procedures
- Spearhead the implementation of new accounting standards and development of relevant accounting policies.
- Prepare and deliver training programs to educate the finance department on accounting changes
- Maintain current knowledge of topics arising from the FASB, AICPA, NAIC and all other governing bodies
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant required.
- Six or more years of experience in a public accounting firm + four (4) years investments or insurance industry experience with Accounting Policy experience preferred
- Expertise in US GAAP and SAP
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to develop, coach and train others in an organizational setting
Location: The company is headquartered in the Midwest. They are open to applicants located outside the region as 100% remote, work-from-home provided you can commit to travel on a monthly basis to their main office.