Head of Tax Compliance and Reporting
Head Tax Compliance and Reporting
Our client, a major global Financial Services IT company who provides technology services to financial markets clients is seeking their Head of Tax Compliance and Reporting for U.S. and Foreign Tax. He /She will be responsible for building out the Tax Group.
This is a key tax leadership role for a financial services technology company with a significant global footprint. Successful candidate will possess strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills to manage a range of tasks critical to the effective operation of the tax department. This highly analytical role requires a strategic thinker providing hands-on management. The candidate must have a broad range of experience and strong technical skills, be detailed oriented and organized. Will be responsible for all aspects of corporate federal, state & local income and general tax compliance for all US entities and for providing oversight over the filings of foreign-based entities. The Director will assist in developing global transfer pricing strategies alongside external partners and will engage directly with senior business leaders at the firm to develop strategies and resolve issues.
The Director will report directly to the CFO and will direct the financial reporting of tax matters as well as withholding requirements including IRC Sec. 1441 withholding tax, FATCA, etc.
This position requires a “hands-on”, self-starter with fundamental business skills, strategic thinking and an eye towards constant process improvement. Communicating with senior business leaders and the ability to be a reliable business partner is essential.
- Manage all aspects of US tax compliance including corporate and partnership tax filings with outsourced provider. Review federal and state income tax returns with an emphasis on consolidated federal and combined state income tax returns. Review provision to return true-up calculation upon filing of the tax returns. Analyze accounts for tax significance; prepare work paper documentation; and record/input appropriate tax journal entries in each month end close process.
- Direct monthly, quarterly and annual global income tax provision in accordance with ASC740; Technical analysis and evaluation of critical tax accounting policies and conclusions including valuation allowance analysis, APB 23, FIN 48, and purchase accounting.
- Manage indirect tax compliance including tax withholding, FATCA, etc.
- As the function matures, supervise tax associates to ensure timely, complete and accurate filings of all tax returns and projects. Ensure the staff is well informed, keeps up with changes in tax laws and interpretations and continues professional education. Manage staff including establishing goals and objectives and leading the team to achieve those goals, with an emphasis on staff development.
- Perform tax research to support domestic & international positions, and impact of those positions on global effective tax rate.
- Assist with tax planning & research as needed with third party experts.
- Hands-on support for all tax audits - perform independent analysis of all proposed positions and proactively assist in building audit defense. Monitor responses to income tax notices.
- Manage maintenance of tax software, excel spreadsheets and corporate tax calendar including process improvements within tax accounting and compliance environments such as technology.
- Lead consolidated tax forecasting process including the global effective tax rate and cash taxes, evaluating overall tax posture to facilitate tax planning
- Bachelor's in Accounting. Masters in Tax and/or CPA preferred
- In excess of 10 years tax preparation, compliance and tax financial reporting
- Public accounting experience
- Extensive technical knowledge of ASC740, SEC rules and other regulatory requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Supervisory and large project experience
- Excellent computer/technology skills (Corptax, BNA, Tax stream)
- Self-starter with fundamental business skills, insight and savvy. Excellent intrapersonal skills; the ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms.
- Process oriented.
- Problem solver, self-starter and “finisher”, highly organized and deadline conscious.
- Able to handle significant transaction volume and diversity of assignments and projects.
- Able to handle and manage change in a proactive way.
- Accountable personality who takes ownership for tasks/processes that he or she is responsible for.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Location: Wall Street