The Toptal network includes thousands of top engineers, designers, finance experts, project managers, and more from over 100 countries, working with leading companies on mission-critical projects.
As Head of Talent Coaching at Toptal, you will be responsible for building a brand new, world-class professional development and coaching team that ensures our Talent network is performing at their highest level and delivering the highest quality client service. You will own the program end-to-end, including designing the strategy, establishing operating models and processes, measuring results, and scaling to serve thousands of Talent.
You’ll lead a dedicated, entrepreneurial team of career and professional development coaches, supporting Talent from all over the world from the moment they join the Toptal network through landing a job with our clients. In addition to coaching, you’ll anticipate and resolve issues and seek out opportunities to drive improvements to our career services offerings. Part of this effort will necessitate the development of a talent performance management system, including piloting a program to provide one-on-one coaching and feedback conversations with Talent. Working with other cross-functional teams, you will create processes to provide feedback and improvement opportunities for Talent who have demonstrated performance issues, with the goal of returning each Talent to good standing. Building upon your early successes, you will scale the delivery system for feedback and coaching.
As part of your role, you’ll be the key advisor to Talent across the spectrum of their lifecycle at Toptal, whether they’re brand new to Toptal or are approaching the end of their most recent Toptal client engagement. You are instrumental in their success in securing their role with their first or next client utilizing their portfolio to present themselves successfully.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will work with Talent Operations Leadership to identify areas for talent training to improve the overall health and skill level of the Talent network, and partner with the Talent Education team to ensure the right programs are developed. Training areas may address both technical skills related to Toptal verticals (e.g., code review, wireframing, financial forecasting) and soft skills (i.e., client communication, project management).
- Evaluate credentials, experience, and presentation to ensure each one of our Talent is prepared to perform at their highest level during interviews with our clients for potential engagements.
- Provide ongoing support for our career changers along with actionable advice on their job search strategy and activities.
- Working with Talent on a one-on-one basis, create talent performance management systems to address struggling talent; hold one-on-one conversations and ultimately manage a team of coaches.
- Partnering with our key leaders, will develop, initiate and maintain effective leadership and frontline development programs in alignment with success planning, promotion and workforce retention.
- Lead organizational improvement efforts to elevate our Talent onboarding systems, resulting in increased “speed to productivity” for new hires across the Talent network.
- Work cross-functionally with related teams (such as Screening, Matching, Profile Editing, & Education) to drive alignment, and clearly communicate best practices to Talent.
- Establish and monitor KPI’s to measure effectiveness and scale programs in an ROI-positive manner.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about the core of the Toptal service by shadowing calls with clients and Talent.
- Learn the structures and capabilities of the Talent-facing teams at Toptal, with a particular focus on understanding the goals, processes, and ongoing projects within the Talent Operations and Talent Success teams.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet with other stakeholders to review challenges related to talent performance and understand efforts currently underway to address these challenges.
- Learn Toptal’s screening and matching processes and usage of internal tools, with a focus on understanding the typical signs that a particular skill area may warrant creating a development program around.
- Begin taking over the current feedback initiatives.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Fully take over the current Talent feedback and development programs in place today.
- Build a team of coaches to work with you to deliver Toptal’s professional development programs at scale.
- Complete regular feedback/coaching calls with Talent.
- Initiate an audit of existing Talent and identify all Talent who need personalized development plans or other interventions in place.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Set a long-term vision for world-class professional development at Toptal that allows the world’s Talent to stay on the cutting edge of their fields and perform at the highest levels of client service.
- Develop a framework for monitoring and reviewing all talent performance issues on an ongoing basis, including problem identification, feedback delivery, training and other follow-up actions.
- Hold feedback and coaching conversations with Talent flagged during Talent audit, implementing personalized development plans as appropriate.
In the first year, expect to:
- Recommend new features for Toptal’s Talent portal to deliver training and feedback at scale.
- 7+ years experience in strategic roles, preferably with experience leading and developing teams.
- Strong knowledge of the consulting, professional services, and/or Talent space is preferred.
- Experience with learning and development programs, especially in the context of technical skill sets
- You must be a strong strategic thinker. You must be capable of understanding how to prioritize Talent and adjust strategies accordingly.
- Significant strategic research and analysis experience with a strong understanding of how to build a compelling, data-driven business case.
- Practical experience testing concepts, validating hypotheses and informing planning and development.
- Hustle. You understand how to build from the ground up and will dive in and do whatever is needed to drive growth.
- Resourcefulness. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with leading your portion of the business.
- Adaptability. You should be able to identify opportunities, successes, and failures quickly and act upon them in a thoughtful manner.
- Passion. Our goal is to change the way organizations build teams and how the world’s top Talent finds opportunities. You have to be passionate about what we do, and be a strong advocate of the change we are driving in the market.
- Communication. Our clients are global, our Talent community is global, and our core team is global. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to speak to a wide range of stakeholders and team members, across a wide range of geographies.
- You need to be open to giving and receiving challenging feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.