Head of Strategic Technology Initiatives & Associate General Counsel
The successful candidate will report directly to AIG’s Chief Technology Legal Officer and will work closely with AIG’s Technology, Legal, Compliance, and business colleagues and executives.
In addition, the successful candidate must possess the ability to recognize legal and reputational risk, while managing legal matters strategically. The successful candidate must also have strong presentation skills and executive presence with the ability to liaise with all levels of the organization.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated thought leader, with strong business acumen, passion for technology and the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities. This position also requires excellent negotiation, drafting and communication skills, and the ability to maintain up-to-date knowledge of legal, compliance and new market developments.
The role will involve the following:
- Contract Negotiations: Lead negotiations of significant technology transactions, including technology outsourcing and major cloud agreements.
- Strategic Legal Advice: Partner with stakeholders from AIG’s global Technology organization and other business areas to provide legal guidance and support around technology governance, including software lifecycle development, export control and outsourcing compliance.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with domestic and international Legal, Compliance and Regulatory colleagues on contracting and related issues across our businesses.
- Risk Management and Compliance: Identify, evaluate and report on potential risks in connection with commercial contracting.
- Training, Education and Presentations: Develop and provide training to all levels of the Technology, Legal, and Global Sourcing & Procurement organizations.
- Negotiate various types of consulting, cloud, SaaS, licensing and technology transfer transactions with domestic and international suppliers, with a focus on limiting AIG’s liability and protecting the confidentiality, privacy and intellectual property rights of AIG and AIG’s customers and employees.
- Negotiate major technology outsourcing arrangements with both domestic and international service providers with a focus on achieving enforceability of service providers' performance and service level obligations.
- Negotiate resolutions to disputed matters consistent with AIG’s objectives.
- Function as lead Counsel throughout the life-cycle of each transaction, including due diligence, negotiation, approval, execution, integration and contract management.
- Effectively matrix with critical business partners, including Compliance, Privacy, and Technology.
- Manage outside counsel on discrete matters as may be required.
- Share knowledge and skills in areas of subject matter expertise with other AIG Legal and Global Sourcing & Procurement colleagues, as requested, in keeping with our collaborative environment.
- Work with AIG’s Global Sourcing & Procurement groups, Legal, Compliance and other stakeholders to develop, implement, and coordinate contracting and governance strategies.
- Proactively identify risks of non-compliance applicable to third-party contracts.
- Manage and provide leadership for one or more teams of legal support professionals, including managing their workload and developing colleagues in their particular areas of focus.
- 15+ years of experience, with at least 2-3 years at a premier law firm (prior in-house experience strongly preferred);
- Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. from a top law school; and
- New York bar membership.
Skills and Attributes
- A highly collaborative self-starter who is a practical and “can-do” problem solver, who brings a sense of urgency to quickly and successfully resolve matters;
- Thought leader with a strong work ethic, with experience working independently, and who can collaborate with executive level clients without supervision;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor written and verbal communication across a variety of audiences, including a demonstrated ability to provide leadership level reporting;
- Exceptional integrity, critical thinking, and leadership skills to drive complex domestic and international commercial technology transactions;
- Knowledge of the privacy and regulatory environment impacting the procurement and operation of technology for the insurance and financial services business, including researching and reporting on applicable legal and regulatory developments;
- Excellent legal analytical skills with the ability to integrate legal advice and business knowledge, including risks and benefits;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and deliver multiple projects and priorities concurrently; and
- Organizational agility including the ability to foster and manage positive and influential working relationships in a matrix environment at all levels of management.