Under general direction from the Travelers Canada Vice Chairman, and working closely with the Canada Executive Advisory Committee, the Head of Strategic Planning and Execution is responsible for leading the team that will drive strategic planning, business architecture, and project execution across TRV Canada. This includes overseeing and managing the structure for annual planning cycles, designing and supporting establishment of a business operating model and initiating/executing on the strategic project portfolio.
The head of SP&E will ensure close collaboration and engagement with the broader International Planning and Execution team directed by the International SPE Leader. This job is a manager of managers. [X] This job is a Manager: Responsible for setting work objectives and goals for employees and managing their performance. Typically involved in compensation decisions. Employees have a formal reporting relationship to this job. This job works under General Direction: Establishes procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives in a broad area of work. Generally final results are reviewed. (Typically applies to a manager or expert/top level professional.)
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Establish a Travelers Canada strategic planning framework consistent with the International and Enterprise approach that will:
Drive the analytical process (quantitative and qualitative) to support strategic decisions.
Support the development of strategic plans and roadmaps for international expansion and profitable growth.
Participate in the development of short and long-term strategies to effectively position the business to maximize growth and profit opportunities internationally and in line with Travelers global strategies.
Assist in determining the initial and continuing viability of products, markets and geographies in Travelers International’s portfolio. Maintain current knowledge of developments, trends and the competitive environment around the world.
Establish a Travelers Canada business architecture framework consistent with the International and Enterprise approaches that will: Provide traceability and linkage between business strategy and investment roadmap. Leverage business capabilities and assets, identifying synergies across International and the Enterprise.
Identify ways to improve operational effectiveness, which may be a result of structural issues, functional interdependencies or cross business/country silo redundancies.
Provide general ‘business problem solving capacity’ and ‘change impact assessment’ using knowledge of the business and operating model, enterprise capabilities, industry trends and best practices.
Establish a Travelers Canada delivery framework consistent with the International and Enterprise approaches that will focus on the following service areas:
Portfolio Management – Lead portfolio project planning and execution to ensure ongoing delivery of investments to support business strategy and deliver existing value. Establish a series of appropriate reporting tools to enable the Executive Advisory Committee to efficiently assess and track progress against our strategy and project execution.
Program/Project Management – Manage dependencies, including shared use of resources, risks, issues and additional constraints, to enable successful delivery of program; facilitate approval of project changes; create and maintain end-to-end program schedule, resource plan and project financials.
Business Analysis – Analyze business domain, document processes or systems and assess business model and its integration with technology. This includes engaging in end-product User Acceptance and sign-off. Change Management – Deploy a framework and tools to manage the human side of change to achieve and sustain the required business outcome. Benefits Realization – Execute on mechanisms to recognize and measure predefined project benefits.
Essential Functions Leadership
Lead the Strategic Planning, Business Architecture and Execution teams. Accountable for directing staff in order to achieve deliverables. Leverage local, International, Enterprise and vendor resources to enable TRV Canada to execute on strategic projects.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Degree in Business Administration (or equivalent) required. Successful track record of leading the execution of business strategy frameworks. Extensive knowledge and experience in Business Architecture and Execution (Project Management, Change Mgmt, etc) required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Knowledge of insurance/financial services industries preferred. Experience in management consulting preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Applies expert level business strategy knowledge and facilitation to yield business unit strategic portfolios.
- Applies expert level program/project management knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to Project deliverables.
- Proven advanced skills are required in: Strategic Management and Development Project Management Business Architecture Insurance business and functional areas Organizational Change Management.
- Intermediate Excel and Access skills including querying and linking to external databases required.
- Intermediate skills in technology tools supporting the analysis, manipulation and presentation of data preferred.
Advanced proficiency in the following competencies:
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in the development of strategic and business plans.
- Demonstrates experience of working at all levels in the organization and communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates initiative and innovation in achieving results.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills.
- Anticipates on-going needs of customers and proactively works to develop solutions.
- Uses resources effectively – is well organized and sets priorities to meet critical business needs.
- Maintains a positive, achievement-oriented attitude and a focus on execution.
- Able to work in a team environment and independently.
- Clearly understands how unit relates to the business and aligns work to support business goals.
- Demonstrates strong leadership capability
Job ID: 12691BR