HEAD OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
Jackson Spalding, an award-winning marketing and public relations agency, is seeking a Public Relations Discipline Lead. The ideal candidate has extensive and proven experience developing and implementing a wide range of strategic public relations practices on behalf of clients in an agency setting, as well as extensive experience inspiring, developing and managing highly effective and diverse teams.
ABOUT JACKSON SPALDING
Jackson Spalding was founded in 1995 with a vision to be the most trusted and respected PR agency. With offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles and Athens, Ga., and additional team members located throughout the country, Jackson Spalding now serves the life cycle of a brand through a full range of integrated public relations and marketing services. The company’s roster of clients includes The Coca-Cola Company, L.L. Bean, Chick-fil-A, Interstate Batteries, Delta Air Lines, Google, Orkin, Primrose Schools and many other esteemed organizations.
In simplest terms, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management and growth of our PR Discipline, building and protecting each PR client’s reputation among the audiences that matter most. This person will lead, inspire and nurture a talented and diverse PR team across clients and offices.
Specifically, this position will be responsible for:
- Lead a high-performing team whose environment, culture, capabilities, tools, processes, expectations and work style support Jackson Spalding's vision, values, business goals and clients.
- Oversee talent management, development and processes of the 20+ Public Relations team members, including the practices of Media Relations, Coaching, Crisis, Influencer Relations and Events.
- Motivate diverse leaders at all responsibility levels to deliver standout public relations work. Ensure deliverables and work for clients is first-rate and highly competitive.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the executive team and other Discipline leads, practice leads and other leaders in strategic agency decision-making.
- Model and teach relationship building skills.
PR Client Leadership
- Personally and through fellow members of the PR team:
- Build and maintain client relationships with a deep customer service mentality.
- Bring thought leadership and advise clients proactively with opportunities, industry trends, competitive landscape, and challenges in their marketplaces.
- Ensure PR work for clients is best-in-class and delivering meaningful results per client expectations.
- Engage with and manage PR relationships, taking a leading role in negotiations, execution and implementation.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing clients.
- Proactively represent the agency externally, generate new business leads, lead or co-lead client pitches to bring in new business to meet revenue goals.
- Develop proposals and budget estimates for new business opportunities and engage in other business development activity in partnership with the business development team.
- Develop and present persuasive rationales for new scopes of work such as multi-channel PR campaigns or novel approaches within PR and across other disciplines and foster effective pitching skills in members of the PR team for both existing and potential clients in order to grow revenue.
- Develop clear & compelling strategic vision, annual business plans, success metrics and goals for the PR Discipline to drive profitable growth.
- Manage P&L for PR Discipline collaborating with and reporting to the executive team and finance.
The ideal candidate has 15 years of multifaceted public relations experience, with a minimum of 10 years leading people and teams. Required experience includes, but is not limited to:
Mastery of PR skills including:
- A publisher or editor mindset around media angles/trends, and "newsroom" style story mining, and a high level of media knowledge and relationships.
- Impeccable written communication, including messaging and platform/plan development.
- Awareness of ongoing media coverage and issues facing industry as well as specific client impacts.
- Knowledge of and experience with digital, social and traditional media channels.
Strong business acumen including:
- Experience developing and managing multi-million-dollar PR or integrated client budgets.
- In-depth understanding and experience with P&L management and metrics.
Team leadership skills and experiences including:
- Ability to advise or coach both internally and externally using the JS values, diplomacy and candor.
- Experience with optimizing diverse team skills and creating inclusive team dynamics across multiple locations.
- Ability to understand, appreciate, and develop meaningful relationships with people of various cultural backgrounds.
- Deep experiences with collaborating effectively and quickly.
Revenue generation proficiency including:
- Experience with generating significant revenue directly and through others’ work.
- Proven presentation and communication skills (both written and verbal).
Bachelor’s degree required