Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Reporting to the CMO, the Head of Product Marketing will play a critical role in driving growth for the company. We are looking for a product marketing leader with the strategic chops to disrupt an industry dominated by a combination of legacy vendors and newer point solutions. A top priority for this leader will be building and cultivating a strong team and setting the direction for the product marketing function at Benchling. This role will partner closely with leadership across sales, products, customer success, and marketing to drive Benchling's go-to-market success.
- Go-to-market Strategy: Work closely with sales to prioritize target markets, verticals, and accounts. Develop playbooks, use cases, and solutions messaging to create a compelling story for these target audiences. Drive cross-functional alignment around market segmentation and account tiering. Assist the product team with industry research, market analysis, and customer feedback, especially in new product areas.
- Messaging, Positioning, and Content: Collaborate with leadership and marketing on the company's strategic messaging. Define and deliver effective product messaging and positioning across products, segments, personas, and use cases. Create product content and partner with marketing on market awareness and thought leadership content.
- Sales Enablement: Drive the enablement and success of the sales team. Deliver killer sales tools, product demos, and competitive analysis. Lend support to the field in developing custom pitches for their accounts, addressing product objections, and navigating competitive challenges. Collaborate with sales ops to establish a sales onboarding program and ongoing sales training. Perform win-loss analysis on key accounts.
- Business Value Justification: Build a world-class process with the necessary tools and models to quantify the value and ROI Benchling delivers to customers. Manage the process end-to-end from pre-sales to post-sales and use this as a critical lever to drive expansion business.
- Product Launches: Execute all activities related to product announcements and releases, including messaging and content, sales training, customer communication, and outbound marketing promotion. Coordinate internal launch process across all teams.
- Packaging & Pricing: Develop and evolve Benchling's packaging and pricing as the product grows to address new markets and use cases.
- Analyst Relations: Drive strategic and tactical engagement with industry influencers, and leverage this channel to grow Benchling's visibility in enterprise accounts. Regularly brief analysts on Benchling's product and go-to-market developments, and influence reports and papers authored by them.
- Customer Programs and Advocacy: Build relationships with key customers, cultivate customer evangelists/speakers, and drive case studies and customer testimonials. Manage Benchling's customer advisory board and assist in Benchling's user conferences including running sessions and creating product best practices content.
- Minimum 4-5 years in product/product marketing for an enterprise software company
- 6-8 years in product marketing for B2B enterprise software or SaaS
- Familiarity with a highly technical product/audience and complex sales cycles
- Proven track record of success partnering with sales and implementing sales enablement best practices
- Customer-facing experience with senior executives and IT
- Ideally experienced growth from an earlier stage startup to mid-size company
- Experience in growing and mentoring a top-tier product marketing team
- Strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to synthesize complex subject matter into compelling messages
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Independent self-starter with ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of life sciences (either through work or education) a plus
- Empower through information. We explain the "why" behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (up to $100/month on a gym membership, running shoes, or even a massage)
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events