$150K — $200K *
This position reports to Academia's Chief Operating Officer, who leads the PM, Design, Research, and User Operations teams.
We are profitable and growing, despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Mission is to accelerate the world's research, and it has never been more relevant.
Academia hosts a repository of 20+ million free academic papers, allowing anyone in the world to read scientific and scholarly research papers. The platform enables faculty, students, and private sector researchers to discover the latest research and leading academics in their fields of interest. We are proud of our 130+ million registered users, growing by 3-4 million every month.
We have a "Freemium" business model, providing free access to research for everyone and paid premium capabilities to subscribers. Subscribing to Academia Premium gives researchers access to advanced research discovery tools like Summaries, Bulk Download, and Advanced Search. Subscribing academics also receive enhanced analytics like Mentions and Readers, and career building tools like Grants and Websites. Our 250,000+ premium subscribers cover the cost of hosting free research and pursuing our Mission.
We are a small team of ~55 employees with ~30 engineers. We are hiring across multiple roles, with plans to launch several new products this year while growing the platform profitably.
We are looking for a creative and energetic product marketer who:
* has 5+ years’ experience marketing consumer software products
* can operate initially as an expert individual contributor, then hire, lead, and mentor a team
* can understand academic authors and researchers and their needs, and has experience building marketing plans serving different user segments
* demonstrates a track record of working with Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers to develop feasible and consistent solutions to help users better understand the value propositions of our products
* can build and execute promotional plans and communication strategies, including positioning, messaging, pricing, and channel strategy
* has strong analytical and business modeling skills, with the ability to set, analyze, and report on key metrics
* possesses the ability to quickly assess new ideas unemotionally in a rigorous prioritization framework
* demonstrates the ability to create clear, concise, and compelling copy and creative to convince our key customers to convert
* is a self-starter who can work in an environment with limited oversight but where constant collaboration and communication is a must
Skills that are nice to have:
* Experience working on consumer subscription services
* Experience working in freemium, content aggregation, EdTech, or social networking contexts
* Experience building business cases to support strategic recommendations
* Email marketing experience
Benefits & perks
* Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Account (DCA), and a 401k.
* Health & Self-Care: Paid medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents. Flexible sick days, flexible hours, four weeks + 1 day (21 days) paid vacation, 11 holiday days, and paid parental leave. Standing desks.
* Convenience & Location: All Academia employees may work remotely through at least January 2021. As soon as San Francisco rules permit and we can safely re-open the office, employees may optionally work there. We cater lunch in the office every day, with a huge selection of free snacks & drinks. On-site showers & bike storage, and located a short walk to Montgomery Station public transport.
* Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events. Free books.
* Fun & Activities: Before Covid-19 shelter-in-place, we had an active work “life” at Academia. But now, we're all sheltering in place. Many of these activities are remote now. We have regular “lunch and learn” Zoom classes, an active “movie night”, chess, weekly piano recitals, and interactive video games.
* Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Academia is working with an external recruiting firm for this role; your application may be shared with them. A recruiter representing Academia may contact you regarding your application.
Valid through: 11/27/2020