What will I be doing? ?
- Managing and scaling the San Francisco design team through multiple phases of growth. Building a world-class design team by hiring the best, managing performance, and mentoring your team.
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance and ensuring they are delivering high-quality work that meets user and business needs.
- Defining career paths, helping people to identify opportunities for growth and define plans for achieving measurable goals.
- Acting as site leadership for the San Francisco office in collaboration with your local peers in PM and Engineering.
- Collaborating closely with other Design leaders (across Product and Brand design in Dublin and London) to evolve the global Product Design function, our culture, structure, processes, and beliefs.
- Working with leaders of other functions (e.g. PM, Eng, Research, Analytics, Marketing) to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively to execute on company strategy.
- Defining vision and strategy for products in exciting areas of design (e.g. conversational design, messengers, machine learning).
- Ensuring teams are delivering high-quality product design work that delivers on our business strategy and mission.
- Representing Intercom Product Design publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, community outreach, etc.
What skills do I need? ?
- Experience managing a team of designers in a fast-growing environment.
- Ability to motivate and inspire people to grow, learn, succeed, do their very best work.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Experience hiring and managing performance.
- Experience working on a broad, modern app that has significant scale.
- Strong sense of product design, from high level strategic direction down to UI design details.
- Strong systems and conceptual thinker, ability to understand complex systems.
- Ability to effect change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and this role will be a key part in driving that change.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A passion for building product. A desire to make things better. A sense of optimism.