Reporting to the Head of Finance, the Head of Procurement will be responsible for providing overall direction to the company’s procurement function, including leading strategic sourcing and enabling efficient procurement operations activities. This Position will liaise with cross-functional business partners, be highly visible with operating leaders across the organization, and be critical to scaling the business.
The successful candidate will have the ability to function at a broad-based, strategic level while also driving detailed, tactical execution. More specific responsibilities include:
- Responsible for developing and leading the company’s procurement strategy and handling the day-to-day functioning of the Procurement function, including sourcing, purchasing and supplier management.
- Accountable for the leadership and optimization of the function, implementing best in class end-to-end vendor selection and management processes with a focus on driving lower operating costs while reducing risk across the value chain through effective supplier management.
- The team under the responsibility of this position will support the effective management of n vendor directed, addressable spend, through the support of vendor category management, source to pay functions and supplier management for vendors.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for capital investments including applicable processes, strategies, budgets, and documentation necessary for review and validation of capital investment and major operating expense investment projects. Conducts pre- and post-implementation reviews of capital projects to evaluate timing; determine alternatives, if any; evaluate risk; calculate financial impacts, including return on investment (ROI), total cost, and net present value of cash flows.
- Establish corporate standards and increase leverage of company-wide supplier spend. Develop best practices that are broadly published and adopted that communicate Sparks' position on preferred suppliers per spend category, central procurement tools, competitive bidding guidelines etc.
- Define an end-to-end Supplier Management strategy that delivers on established financial targets, while ensuring best-in-class supplier delivery and performance metrics. This will involve developing and executing a supplier management roadmap that builds the capabilities needed for long-term growth and sustainability including launch of a comprehensive preferred vendor program.
- Ensure stakeholder alignment and coordination for the center-led procurement model via clearly articulated processes including definition of roles and responsibilities, decision rights and communication and coordination mechanisms.
- Establish balanced scorecard metrics (cost, quality, service, etc.) that drive accountability for Total Cost of Ownership and Total Operating Costs for all major categories of spend.
- Review opportunities between various business procurement arms to synergize and consolidate buys and deliver a better rate of return on external spend.
- Embed a systems-based approach to delivering services; increasing internal efficiency through adoption of technology.
- Continue to develop and maintain a Procurement organization that has the structure, process, technology, talent, practices and metrics needed to deliver the plan and build for the future. Develop standards, processes, methodologies and stakeholder relationships to allow the group to be viewed as a center of excellence. Hire and develop top talent to ensure goals can be met.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
Manage the FP&A team to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Foster Spark’s Culture. Role model the Spark Values. Create an environment where team members thrive by living our truths, always in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Emphasize to employees that “how” they achieve performance objectives is just as important as “what” they accomplish.
- Hire & Integrate. Know what skills, experiences and capabilities are needed to achieve current and future business goals. Take an active role in attracting and selecting talent who are inspired by our Mission, Vision and Values. Consciously create a team with diverse backgrounds, experiences, skill sets and perspectives. Help new team members successfully integrate into Spark so they can actively contribute and add value as quickly as possible.
- Manage performance. Ensure every team member knows what is expected of them, what it takes to be successful, and how they are progressing. Provide team members with continuous and on-going performance feedback, holding everyone accountable to achieve results while demonstrating the Spark Values. Help team members understand how their work contributes to the overall success of Spark by continuously communicating priorities, decisions and changes; adjusting goals as needed.
- Develop people. Understand each individual team member’s career goals. strengths and motivators. Partner with your employees to identify areas for development, conduct coaching conversations regularly and provide guidance on ways to develop through on the job experiential learning and stretch opportunities.
Education and Experience Requirements
- B.S. or B.A. degree in, Business Management, Supply Chain, Risk Management, Operations or related field
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of relevant experience in procurement with a minimum of 6 years of experience managing teams and projects.
- Experience having served in a similar position within a high-growth lower to middle-market ($50M to $250M) company combined with prior experience in a complex global organization.
- Experience working within the biopharmaceuticals industry, or another regulated industry, strongly preferred.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of drug development, project management, quality assurance, clinical and non-clinical research, legal and regulatory functions.
- Proven project management skills. Demonstrated success in managing broad scope projects involving cross-functional teamwork.
- Strong understanding of outsourcing processes, corporate purchasing standards, legal, QA and finance policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically. Position requires strong analytical skills to understand scientific and financial data, recognize key issues and establish priorities.
- A track record of developing talent, managing and mentoring high-performing teams, and leading/influencing through others.
- Must have demonstrated strong negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills: consultative, and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence key stakeholders (Head of Finance, CSO, CEO, executive team, stakeholders, peers, direct reports, etc.).
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Honest, ethical and straightforward with a high degree of personal integrity.
- Team-oriented; ability to both lead and support team goals.
- Ability to analyze issues and determine the root cause and develop plans to resolve and build team capabilities to do the same.
- Quickly assimilates into the culture of the company and work effectively as a business partner with other senior leaders.
- Agile; ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high-growth environment.
- A decisive and proactive leader; ability to prioritize effectively and focus on the most relevant issues.
- Forward-thinking and receptive to new ideas. Succeeds in an environment of continuous improvement.
- Passionate and committed to the company’s mission and goals.