This position is responsible for ensuring Procurement meets and or exceeds value capture targets associated with mergers and acquisitions as well as ongoing Procurement and initiatives.
Skills and Knowledge: Demonstrated ability to drive internal efforts to complete sourcing projects in accordance to established deadlines.
This position will work closely with the Procurement Leadership Team as well as Shire senior leadership, building alignment and consensus with stakeholders. The candidate will need to have very strong interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), influencing and problem solving skills as they will interact across all levels of the organization including the most senior and high profiled leaders across Shire. They should display a passion for motivating and engaging team members, an acute sense of detail and ability to deliver strong results over an extended time period.
As value capture initiatives are a driving factor in merger and acquisitions and typically shared with the investment and external stakeholder communities, this role is critical in ensuring Procurement’s success with meeting its commitment to internal stakeholders and Shire senior leadership.
Describe the essential job duties. After each, provide an estimate of the percent of time typically devoted to each responsibility (use increments of 5%, all time spent should total to 100% of time allocation). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Please note the percentage of time spent on each job duty is an estimate for normal operating conditions.
Value Capture Initiative Delivery
- Assist Head of Procurement in establishing overall value capture initiatives to meet or exceed value capture goals
- Communicate goals to senior leadership, driving consensus and alignment
- Function as the program management office ensuring that quick wins, rapid sourcing events and full sourcing events are conducted and completed according to the value capture plan’s timeline and forecasted value capture
- Establish reporting cadence for category teams executing value capture initiatives; conducts review meetings and project deep dives according to schedule
- Supportcategory teams in value capture execution, identifying solutions to roadblocks and obstacles
- Create and manage project tracking system to monitor progress against value capture goals
- Monitor progress and performance and provide regular performance against goals reporting and updates to Procurement Leadership Team and senior Shire leadership
- Analyze variances against the plan and provide analysis with recommended mitigation to Procurement Leadership Team to ensure success against value capture goals
Education & Experience Requirements
- BA or BS required; MBA preferred. Procurement qualifications are a plus (e.g., CPSM, MCIPS or PMP).
- Minimum of 7years’ experience in Procurement /Procurement Systems
- Minimum 5years’ experience in project management in Supply Chain or Procurement
- Strong project/program management skills
- Experience with Procurement Systems/IT applications, proficient with Microsoft Excel (advanced functionality) and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communications skills with demonstrated ability to effective create and deliver effective presentations and influence others
- Demonstrated ability to work across all levels and functions of a global, complex, changing environment to drive value-added results to the organization
- Solid knowledge of strategic sourcing process
- General knowledge of all direct/indirect categories and associated spend
Key Skills and Competencies
Describe critical skills needed to successfully perform job, which should be representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Living our leadership behaviors is a basic expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following:
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
- Strategic Thinking: Understands clearly key external developments and trends, such as market needs, competition and technology that are likely to impact the business and builds this knowledge into an end-to-end category strategy. Develops solutions that reflect a thorough understanding of Shire’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Addresses potential issues through effective planning and resourcing. Applies extensive, expert knowledge and experience to support the business direction. Identifies and utilizes the best available knowledge and expertise from inside or outside the organization. Can take complex, abstract ideas or situations and distill the fundamental issues and articulate the solution in an easy to understand way.
- Change and Transition Management: Adapts quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and rapid change within Shire. Is comfortable with ambiguity and copes with adversity well. Remains focused on the company vision and delivering on the business objectives. Recommends process improvements that will greatly improve quality, and establishes effective systems, processes and procedures to get work done and transfer knowledge. Brings fresh perspectives, innovation, ideas & best practice into Shire.
- Teamwork: Fosters an environment of collaboration. Understands and values the collective strengths and experience of the Team and knows when to draw on complementary skills to meet the required objectives. Actively builds bridges between areas by uncovering and working to remove barriers. Works hard to generate commitment and loyalty across the team.
Other Job Components
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Must support business needs within Shire, align with all of Procurement and understand the sourcing and operational complexities. Must be able to work on cross-functional and/or cross-site teams to achieve objectives. Superior negotiating skills while working withinternal stakeholders and representing Shire to suppliers and negotiating formal commitments for services/products. Knowledge of internal policies, Shire external policies and positions, supplier processes and business processes across the company must be employed to effectively make decisions representing stakeholders and managing internal relationships.
Internal and External Contacts
- Communicates opinions, facts and thoughts with clarity, transparency and honesty. Seeks multiple perspectives and listens openly to others’ points of views. Enables and demonstrates the courage to speak up on issues and risks as well as on the good news. Interacts, communicates and coordinates with people at all levels, both internally and externally, especially senior leadership.
- Up to 25% travel may be required.