We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Starcraft to Cranium over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding, building and selling successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
The Head of People is a newly-created leadership position as the organization positions itself for its next phase of dramatic growth and impact. You are a person who thrives on relationship building and the systematic build out of an organization. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast paced environment where the work you put in daily directly impacts organizational growth. You have a variety of skills and knowledge about the basic workings of a business and feel confident using those skills on a daily basis. You’re organized, driven and eager to help in a variety of aspects within a business.
What You'll Do:
- Ensure the employee experience is consistent and always in line with Skillz culture and values
- Communicate between executive team members and all employees to ensure clear and stable communication and expectations
- Provide strategy and guidance to employees at all levels of the organization including career development, general management and employee relations issues
- Be our compliance expert: You have a foundational HR knowledge base and know where to go for complex issues including medical, PTO, 401(k), FMLA, CFRA, SDI, LOA, etc
- Own all people processes for employee onboarding, retention and offboarding, legal compliance, and immigration
- Monitor HR processes for effectiveness and make recommendations for streamlining process
- Oversee the planning and organizing and development of corporate insurance, safety and loss programs, policies and procedures
- Translate the strategic plan into actionable development programs that will support the attainment of strategic business goals and objectives
- 8-12years experience in People Operations or Human Resources
- Proven record of leading and managing people/situations that stay consistent with the Skillz values and business objectives
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to build relationships with both internal members at Skillz, as well as external partners and resources
- Prior experience managing Human Resources and/or Operations teams
- Demonstrated leadership of talent agenda that contributes to organizational growth and improved employee experience
- Prior experience working in a fast paced startup environment
- Strong attention to detail, systems development and organizational management
- Knowledgeable of HR policies and laws including FMLA, Leave of Absences, and other relevant HR related laws
- Comfortable managing and prioritizing a variety of tasks and responsibilities
- Familiarity with and history in gaming and eSports industries a plus
- Analytical orientation to HR or interest in the analytics of HR
- Preferred MBA or related graduate degree from a top tier university