This role provides leadership and guidance to multiple agile and/or infrastructure and operations teams supporting a business capability area or services across various functions of IT. The leader is responsible for the creation and implementation of IT strategy which includes technical, financial and resource development. The leader develops the organization’s strategic plans including the definition and implementation of the portfolio roadmap and ongoing portfolio management activity. The leader develops and cultivates IT and business partner relationships and effectively communicates the business value of tools, practices and technologies from a development and strategic perspective. The leader successfully executes IT plans in support of the IT or business goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction, guidance, and recommendations to address a wide range of business and technology needs and supports the implementation of agreed upon solutions. Leads in the definition of a portfolio of change and roadmap. Engages and influences IT and business leaders to ensure the portfolio will deliver agreed business objectives.
- Has a broad understanding of IT and emerging technologies and uses this knowledge to assist stakeholders/business leaders in understanding available IT capabilities, technology/business implications, financial considerations, and return on investments to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Encourages the exploration and development of innovative methods utilizing IT assets in alignment with the organization’s strategic direction.
- Initiates and influences relationship with and between key stakeholders, in business change design, management and implementation, acting as a primary point of contact for stakeholders, planners, designers, and operational business partners.
- Ensure capability deliveries are aligned across business functions and within multiple agile and/or operational teams.
- In partnership with practice leaders, guides the definition of the company’s technical and architectural roadmap objectives.
- In support of IT management, takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Understands the needs of a self-organizing team (be cross-functional, be in partnership w/ business, collaboration, work quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management activities that make self-organization successful.
- Responsible for ensuring that the scrum team(s) apply best of breed software engineering practices including but not limited to – Test Driven Development, Peer Reviews, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive Definition of Done, team retrospectives, etc.
- Understands patterns and trends that contribute to utilizing key performance indicators and critical success factors that will improve the performance of the organization.
- Develops influential relationships with internal and external partners and vendors at the senior management level, including industry leaders.
- Understands and is an advocate of following architecture standards, practices and processes.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing strategic IT plans that address business priorities.
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encourages others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful.
- Understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles
- Proven knowledge and skills in one or more functions, technologies or industries.
- Ability to apply broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of area plans.
- Able to communicate a compelling vision and need for change that generates excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment to the process.
- Demonstrates strategic and critical thinking capability
- Interact with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Demonstrated depth of IT knowledge with diversity in technical experience. Is seen as a credible technology partner.
- Has detailed understanding of the principles of business and markets and sound experience of relevant business sectors. Knows how to make and sustain a business case through effective benefits management, and demonstrates the ability to make, and take responsibility for, adventurous and innovative decisions on major technical and service delivery issues.
- Has strong planning, communication and presentation skills, and the capability to listen and influence.