The Head of Operational Excellence for the Lexington Site is responsible for leading the Lexington Site Operational Excellence (OE) team in the development and deployment of the site Continuous Improvement Master Plan. The incumbent will manage a team of OE practitioners and program managers to implement continuous improvement measures at the Lexington site through the use of standardized Lean/Six Sigma-based tools to simplify processes, improve quality, remove waste and reduce cost.
This role will provide coaching support for functional leaders within the Lexington Site on subjects related to Operational Excellence, Lean leadership and management systems. The incumbent will be responsible to build strong relationships in their respective partnerships, becoming intimate with their mission, processes and requirements. The incumbent will gain a firm understanding of the operational needs of the leadership team, and their oversight of processes, methodologies and corrective actions in order to help the leadership team identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement using Operational Excellence principles and methodologies. Using robust change management skills, the incumbent will communicate across the organization to ensure key stakeholders are aware and supportive of changes and their benefits, at all levels of the organization and locations as required.
40% – Lead Site Operational Excellence Team
Manage team of OE Coaches and Program Managers in developing, coaching and executing site Continuous Improvement Master Plan, including business partner support, project execution, program management, training and mentoring.
30% – Develop and deploy Continuous Improvement Master Plan
Primary owner of site Continuous Improvement Master Plan to implement the Shire Lean Management System throughout the Lexington Site. Standardize approach for and application of Lean/Six Sigma tools, and methods. Ensure OE standards (e.g. DMAIC, Lean, Root Cause Analysis) are being used for problem solving (tools and methods) and daily continuous improvement. Champion use of KPI / metric management for data-based decision making. Identify and support individuals with interest in OE leading to development/certification of future Blue/Green/Black Belts. Train and coach Belt candidates on Lean and Six Sigma methods, mentor candidates to completion and certification.
20% – Business Partner in Leading and Coaching Change
Provide primary support to business and functional leaders at the Lexington Site, including Identification/chartering/prioritization of improvement opportunities. Act as a coach and change agent to instill a continuous improvement culture throughout the organization. Communicate and advocate for the needs of the leadership teams to site senior leadership team. Coach leaders on standard work and adoption of Lean and Six Sigma principles and behaviors.
10% – Lead Improvement Projects / Events
Lead the design and implementation of improvement initiatives or events for highly complex processes that have a large cross-functional impact to eliminate waste, reduce cycle time and improve Shire business performance while establishing a sustainable model for continuous improvement. Lead value stream development to deliver deployment plans to be used to improve the overall performance of the value stream. Complete strategic projects and Kaizen events in alignment with Lexington site strategic deployment plan.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelors degree in a technical field/business required, advanced degreepreferred
- Lean and/or Six SigmaBlack Beltrequired, Six Sigma Master Black Beltpreferred
- 10-15years experience in a Lean/Six Sigma role preferably in bio/pharmaceutical, biotechnology or life science industry.
- Operational Excellence program leadership, management or development experience.
- Direct management of professionals to achieve local and global objectives.
- A proven record of accomplishments in continuous improvement events/projects, team leadership and problem-solving, demonstrated success initiating change and influencing at all levels.
- Strong coaching experience, extensive application of Operational Excellence methods and tools.
- Experience in applying systematic and rigorous analytical methods to improve processes, including the following methodologies/tools: Six Sigma (DMAIC), Value Stream Mapping, Control Plans, Mistake Proofing, Root Cause and Corrective Action, Kaizen, 5S
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Team leadership skills, including managing existing teams and growing new teams.
- In-depth knowledge of business processes
- Excellent team dynamics skills focused on strong team leadership and participation
- Strong communication skills with all levels of the organization, emphasis on oral presentation skills, exceptional classroom training techniques, facilitation, coaching and feedback.
- Ability to challenge current state and motivated to improve the business; strong ability to influence without authority at all levels of the organization
- Courage to make difficult decisions and/or recommendations
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Courage/experience to provide coaching/feedback to all levels of the organization including superiors
- Excellent listening skills and emotional intelligence
- Flexibility and ability to assimilate new knowledge and standards quickly
- Drive for results, sense of urgency
Req ID: R0017110